5 Bond film scenes which always make you feel happy

I caught that moment the other day, as I seem to have missed it before. Great moment, particularly as Sean sits back as though he’s just decided to watch some television.

5 Likes

I have to mention the California Girls snowboarding sequence. Top tier fun!

4 Likes

Connery: How about a cigarette? I’ll pay for it…" , It’s one of the few times you don’t expect the gadget to save the day.

Lazenby: Draco says “What she needs is a man…”

Moore: FYEO meeting Melina, car chase,…conti’s fun disco score.

Dalton: Bond switches his tux to sniper detail mode, schools Saunders after being condescended to by him.

Brosnan: Halo jump into the south china sea. Pure Bond. Shoulda kicked off a pretitle.

Craig: Bahamas stuff great way to intro new youngish 007. Winning the car, the girl …etc.

6 Likes

Yes, definitely the FYEO meeting Melina, car chase scene. Was only raving about that bit last night. It’s the definition of fun.

3 Likes

My favorite line is “I’m afraid we’re being out horse-powered.”

2 Likes

It’s also one of the very few times Connery is. The re-breather in the shark tank in Thunderball is the only other time I can think of when a gadget doesn’t just delay the inevitable. Goldfinger actually makes a point of his use of gadgets failing to save him, forcing him to talk his way out of it.

3 Likes

From Goldfinger: Connery escaping his jail cell by attracting the attention of the guard. Walking up to the door twice, waving, winking and then crouching down while smiling.

4 Likes

TND “they print anything these days” after seeing a bloke mangled up in a printing press

2 Likes

After being recaptured same jail cell surrounded by guards with guns drawn.
Robert Conrad’s (R.I.P.) James West used a similar escape technique in Wild,Wild West ep.
“Night of the Falcon” with a young Robert Duvall guest starring as the villain.

1 Like

Brosnan turning the tables on his oppressors inside the sound proof room. Using the lamp as a weapon (listen to the satisfying sound effects they use) and then casually picking up the glass ash tray and smashing it over the security guard’s head. Then shutting off the power.

2 Likes

If only because we’ve just had the kitchen done, an increasing fondness for MooreBond’s ship’s wheel spice rack, bizarrely scattered copper cooking implements (albeit perfect for rustling up a quiche); black-dot-thing-going-on and the two brass cocks nailed to the wall. I hasten to add Mrs Jim vetoed all these as options.

3 Likes

The ski escape from Piz Gloria.

An open question: Is there a better Bond action sequence?

3 Likes

A closed answer: no👏

1 Like

I do prefer several others, too.

To name five (in no particular order):

• FYEO´s ski chase.

• Bond fighting Red Grant.

• LALD´s boat chase.

• TSWLM´s car/submarine chase.

• LTK´s tanker chase.

2 Likes

There are other great action sequences, but after consideration I do think this one is the best. Musically it’s fantastic, the stunt work is first class and it’s all shot beautifully.

We have goons being dispatched along the way, as the films always depict. But here it feels legitimate and not obligatory, or just played for comic relief purposes. It’s perfectly understandable if someone crashes into a tree while skiing at full pace during the night. And even then, you’ll be labelled an “idiot”.

Bond loses a ski, comes under enemy fire and has to hide away. The goon that just won’t die is tense perfection. So all in all, Bond is depicted as skilled but at the same time vulnerable.

3 Likes
  1. Underwater fight scene TB.
  2. Boat chase LALD.
  3. Assault of volcano YOLT
  4. Ski escape OHMSS
  5. Climbing scene FYEO
2 Likes

A couple of mentions of the boat chase. And while LALD was my first, time and multiple viewings have of course highlighted some of the moments where the chase flags (the whole sequence is what 15-20 minutes of running time?).

So, I’m going to say the Bond-moment that makes me happy, precedes the chase. The crocodile jump! A straightforward stunt, executed without special effects (that some of them were tied down is entirely camouflaged), flawlessly executed. An intake-of-breath, punch the air, laughing-in-appreciation WTF moment!

4 Likes

The needlessly long and mostly uneventful boat chase does not simply drag down the movie for me. It is one of my least favorite action scenes in the franchise. Almost as bland as some of the action in SP. I’m not trying to be belligerent; if you like the boat chase, great; it’s just not my cup of tea.

Also, when combined with the tailing to Harlem, the escape on the double decker bus, and the airport scene with Mrs. Bell, it feels like this whole movie is one long chase scene.

This would take second place for me in overall action sequences.

Here’s part two: Is there a better Bond final set piece?

1 Like

For me:

• TSWLM´s whole finale
  • LALD´s attack on Mr. Big´s lair (by the way, another break with tradition that the Moore era dared with its first film: a one man assault, not the usual cavalry approach)
  • MR´s finale (what can I say, it just hit the sweet spot of my teenage Star Wars-fan self, combining space opera with Bond)
  • TLD´s whole last act (I think it´s relentlessly entertaining)
  • QOS´s hotel finale (visually arresting and unusually dark, with Bond and Camille facing sure death, Camille even asking Bond to kill her, “Make it count”)
2 Likes