50 Years a Bond Fan

Cheers to you, Charlie! Here is to the next 50!

1 Like

Everyone appreciates you and you’ve done more of the special things, the hard work and the generous touches, that make fandom and events great, than anybody I know.

Here’s to Bryce! Long may you reign!

4 Likes

Yeah, and this one has to go here, too.

“Winner, Ian Fleming Wants To Be Him Award”

Hotel Seneca, Chicago

5 Likes

That is very much my experience Navy007Fan. I have no idea what my first Bond film was or even how old I was! I like to think it was either Goldfinger or The Spy Who Loved Me, but it might even have been On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (for some reason I remembered the OHMSS car chase on the alpine road before I ever knowingly ever watched it years later, though I didn’t remember George Lazenby). But, honestly, my first could have been any of the films pre-Moonraker, which was the last Bond film I saw around 1985.

My James Bond experience began sometime in the late 1970s when I walked into my parents’ bedroom and found my dad watching an entertaining and exciting adventure so I stayed and watched until it was over. That would periodically happen again and again over the ensuing years with the ABC Sunday Night Movie showcasing 007’s exploits. Two or three times during those years my mom would happen by and mentioned it was bedtime, but I nevertheless stuck around for the end of each Bond movie and my dad never made me go.

I can remember seeing Octopussy on its television debut and being excited for it, but it wasn’t until about 1985/86 that I became a huge fan when I made it a point to see every Bond film on video and haven’t looked back since.

The Living Daylights was my first 007 experience in the theater, whereupon I soon started collecting all the novels, but only after my sister bought me my first Bond novel for my birthday–John Gardner’s No Deals, Mr. Bond!

So all told I’ve been a fan for about 42-45 years and haven’t regretted a moment of it since.

3 Likes