A New Short Story Collection with Contributing Authors

I was just reading The Property of a Lady tonight and realized just how much I enjoy the Bond short stories. It got me thinking about the recent continuation novels and how they’ve mainly been one shot affairs by the various authors. If were going to get a different take on Bond with every new book why not embrace it and have one book with numerous voices and interpretations?

There’s a new Star Wars book being published in October entitled Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View which will be an anthology of 40 stories from 40 writers to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars.

I think it would be wonderful to have a James Bond shorty story collection along similar lines. Not 40 stories but a handful like Fleming’s For Your Eyes Only. I think around 7 stories would be just right. It could be a great opportunity to have some authors dip their toes in Bond’s water without having to commit to an entire novel. An unlike the recent Canada only short story collection this would be fully authorized.

If successful it could lead to more short stories collections or those contributing authors taking on a full novel.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

1 Like

Good idea! Short stories from many authors who want to do Bond but even cannot commit to a full story or weren´t considered yet.

Here are my suggestions for seven authors (in no particular order):

1. Lee Child
  2. Kyle Mills
  3. Ridley Pearson
  4. Ian Rankin
  5. Daniel Silva
  6. Jeffrey Deaver (I’d like to see what he could/would do using the original Bond timeline)
  7. Anthony Horowitz

Actually, I know that there’s something like this in preparation. The German fan club will publish a collection of articles by various Bond fans from all over the world (you’ll know some of the names), to celebrate the four anniversaries of this year: YOLT-50, TSWLM-40, TLD-30 and TND-20.

Will be bilingual, German-English. It’s currently being layouted, we’re aiming at an end of October release.

2 Likes

Fantastic news. Please keep us informed!

I’ve thought about this in the past, too. Would be an amazing book to see published. The choices Double-Oh Agent listed are top notch. I’d love to see what Silva would do with Bond and would like to suggest Alan Furst, perhaps writing a WWII-era Bond story. I wonder if Le Carre would take on the project?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a collection of short stories but articles on the films (personal memories from fans and participants).

Sounds splendid!

I’d exclude Horrowitz since he’s in the process of writing a second continuation novel.

I like the idea. And definitely give Mr. Deaver a second chance as well. I could also se Lee Child writing a novel or two if IFP contacted him.

Great idea! Would be interesting to get little tastes of different interpretations of Bond, especially since it could possibly allow some wider variation.

I would like to see these stories get public notice. I also would like to see some other authors get a chance to write more James Bond short stories.

1 Like