Amazon in Talks to Buy MGM

Ah, I see.

1 Like

What I remember was that Disney was trying to find a date they release Mulan in theaters. With the Pandemic it kept moving back. Also when theaters would open back and how many people could be in there at one time. I think from what I heard when it finally went to streaming . It cost like $30.00 or $30 something to watch. But don’t know how many times one could watch it. But I would think the price went down once it came out on DVD and Blu-ray.

It was Warner Bros. who said on streaming and in theaters at the same time. But what is the price to get it on streaming vs. going to watch it in theaters.

It won’t affect NTTD. How the next Bond can be shown around the world - who knows? But with a reliably financially secure distributor it will all be much easier.

These days it would feel current for Q to work for them.

1 Like

“James… your henchman is 3 stops away”

4 Likes

„Q - why the heck such a huge package for such a small item???!“

3 Likes

“Why should I bring back gadgets in pristine condition? You’ll destroy them anyway if I do…”

3 Likes

You just know there will be a joke about Bond having to wait for 2-day shipping.

Not sure how I feel about this news. I haven’t been at all blown away by Amazon’s original programming or just their streaming services in general (it’s done much better by many other outfits), so we’ll see how it all turns out.

1 Like

“No Time To Die is definitely destined for a big-screen release, currently scheduled for October 8. Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have already determined that to be so.”

“Insiders believe that Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson would likely nix any plans to debut James Bond films on Amazon’s streaming service Prime Video and would insist on a theatrical release, as is their contractual right.”

Could it lead to a much earlier release after the cinema release on Amazon Prime.?

I doubt it. EON has a tight grip on this.

Also on the „spin-off“, „universe building“, if it’s true what is reported. Which I can only applaud.

As for the chance of streaming or a dvd release for NTTD before Christmas - I certainly hope so since I won’t go to a cinema as long as this pandemic is still going on.

4 Likes

I have to agree, I’m in no hurry to rush to a cinema, just yet.

1 Like

EON as production company get a larger cut from home release than the cinema run, so they might not be entirely opposed, but by the same reasoning they would want a larger break if the film is well received as that longer gap creates an appetite which translates as more money for them.

1 Like

It would very much depend upon how the theatrical market as a whole develops over the next few years. If audience numbers continue to drop some of that could be compensated by rising ticket prices - up to a point. From then on you’ve got to rethink the business model anyway.

It was a concern before the pandemic and will no doubt be one after opening up again. We’ve already mentioned other different approaches - shorter theatrical windows, prime streaming tickets for a limited exclusive experience parallel to the premiere and weeks after that. This stuff is going to happen in some form and the only real concern is how to fit Bond into it with a maximum profit; surely what both Eon house and any studio would want.

The branching out of the franchise is a different matter, something even the most enthusiastic minds on Amazon will probably realise. Bond is the centre of the 007 brand and there’s no real interest or demand for the other characters in his orbit. Of course we as fans - hardcore fans - often invent our own avatars in that realm. But the broader audience never demanded to see ‘The Adventures of the 00-Section’ ™ on the big or small screen.

That said, I could imagine Young Bond as an Amazon Original. It’s one of the few sideline/continuation projects that worked. But Amazon is already invested successfully in Alex Rider, so this particular segment of the market is already covered.

2 Likes

The next few years are definitely going to see many a legal shake up, as China became the most prevalent market and home video became the more profitable corner of the market.

I don’t see any studio being happy with this…

2 Likes

The studios survived the introduction of sound, the Paramount Decree; surburbanization; the introduction of the videocassette, DVD, and Blu-ray. Streaming will be survived as well.

Fewer studios? Maybe. But there has not been such an urgent need for production since Hollywood’s Golden Age, when movies were changed every week and double bills were standard fare.

In fact, streaming has already produced one amazing work of art, Barry Jenkins’ THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD.

1 Like

Oh, they’ll survive, no doubt, but I see a huge amount of legal upheaval going forward as the studios try to restore their status quo of getting the bulk of the profit from the most profitable market.

Studios already channel their product into their own streaming outlets. I would not be surprised if theatrical revenue became what selling blu-rays is now (a niche) and streaming were the new theatrical.

Of course, studios would stop allowing their films to be shown on other streaming sites.

2 Likes

I agree with Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson how they see things like nix any plans to debut James Bond films on Amazon’s streaming service. I think it is a very good idea, for future Bond films.

I hope that it will still be release on DVD, Blu-ray combo and 4K. Not just on streaming or IF you want to own it buy it on streaming. That not really owning it at all. Owning thing a book, movie, etc… a person have be able to feel, it touch it.