Argyle (Matthew Vaughn and Henry Cavill, 2024)

I saw Argylle and it just didn’t work for me which is a shame since I like the premise and the cast. A disappointment.

1 Like

Interestingly, Pauline Kael deemed the film a piece of “fascist medievalism,” and a “right-wing fantasy.” The same year, a favorite director of hers, Sam Peckinpah, released STRAW DOGS, which she called “the first American film that is a fascist work of art”. 1971 also brought us BILLY JACK, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, and the Bond contribution of DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

There is a PhD dissertation in there somewhere.

4 Likes

Definitely

I also like the scene where the killer visits a guy who professionally beats the shit out of him for a fee, so he can go to the press and say: “Look what the cops did to me!” That’s brilliant!

2 Likes

Saw this this morning on Apple TV. Two thoughts: one, glad I didn’t spend the money to see it in a theater or buy the physical media, and two, don’t think they’ll be making the sequel they promised in the mid-credits scene.

2 Likes

Still haven‘t seen it, dreading it, but I should at least give it a chance. The idea how much money was spent to make it makes me shudder, though.

2 Likes

Still haven’t seen Argylle but speaking of Henry Cavill, I just got out of The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and I loved it. A really fun adventure yarn.

4 Likes

I just tried the first 20 minutes.

Apart from the umpteenth reheating of the idea Diane Thomas wonderfully realized in „Romancing the stone“ I wonder why the framing of the real life scenes is so weirdly amateurish.

And why are the fictional scenes so badly written and filmed and performed? Wouldn‘t it have been so much more exciting to actually have a breathtakingly great spy „reality“ be exposed as just great fiction?

I should keep on watching but I don’t know when I will find the strength.

Oh, and why was Henry Cavill shot in a such unappealing way?

3 Likes

Tried more and failed. The story just did not engage me, and the visuals also failed to grab me.

If everything is just wink-wink meta, it at least should be surprising and clever.

And the Beatles song is so incongruent with the scenes it is played in…

1 Like