Cypher 007 - New James Bond Game

Cypher 007 is a top-down James Bond game coming to Apple Arcade on September 29, publisher Tilting Point has announced.

The game lets players revisit some of Bond’s most iconic moments and locations as he attempts to take down the evil criminal mastermind Blofeld, head of Spectre, who is looking to transform Bond into the ultimate double agent.

“Players will be immersed in this beloved universe of espionage as they gather intel, uncover secrets, and use spycraft to overcome immersive levels filled with obstacles, opponents, and objectives that increase in difficulty as they progress,” reads the official synopsis.

“Players will complete missions to bring down Blofeld and Spectre once and for all, and compete against other 007 agents around the world via leaderboards to prove they’re the best spy of all time.”

A trailer for the game (above) alongside various screenshots (below) were also released and shed more light on the game, which will be available at no extra cost to Apple Arcade subscribers.

From the screenshots there, looks like a old male Q, black Moneypenny, and woman M, though nondescript. They also reinterpret Jaws and I’m guessing that’s also Red Grant or Alec Trevelyan as another villain, though they don’t name them.

This feels like it should have been a console game, like James Bond 007 for Game Boy and World of Espionage. Hopefully one day.

3 Likes

Played a bit of it earlier. It’s a fun throwaway sort of game that you would play on a long bus or train journey or in a waiting room.

Note: if anyone doesn’t particularly want Apple Arcade long term, it does have a months free trial and tbf this game doesn’t seem like it would take any near that long to complete.

I think it should have been (and still could be) a console game.

Really enjoyed this. Seems like there’s a lot more to come which is cool. But it plays well and the design is great. There’s also a fun boss fight that will make anyone who played Everything or Nothing smile. Looking forward to more of this.

2 Likes

https://www.howtogeek.com/441238/how-to-connect-a-ps4-or-xbox-controller-to-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Until IO come out with their console intended game, you can use this to at least play it like it’s one.

Full credit to Dyson;

For his video showing that was possible.

2 Likes

Between that particular boss fight, and the games layout being very similar to the Game Boy version, i reckon the makers of this were at very least huge fans of Everything or Nothing.
IMG_4164

And who can blame them?!?

5 Likes

Looks surprisingly good. I’ll go with the month’s free trial first.

3 Likes

Started playing it yesterday and I must admit, it’s a much more polished game than I was expecting. It’s not the major console game we all want, but as the first true James Bond video game in over a decade (that World of Espionage freemium crap doesn’t count), it is at least meant to whet our appetites.

4 Likes

Remember too that if you have an Apple TV you can skip the iPhone or iPad and play it natively on your TV. Settings has a section called “pair game controller” and it will connect PlayStation, XBox, or Switch controllers.

3 Likes

Good to know.

If you have a controller to pair, I’d definitely recommend it as I did find the controller made it much easier to play.

With a certain boss fight it was like riding a bike once I was using a PlayStation controller.

Summary

IMG_4171

2 Likes

I can use my backbone controller adapter.

2 Likes

As an android users do Apple games like this ever make the leap to consoles? I watched Calvin’s review and was quite impressed with the look and feel of the game.

1 Like

Unlikely, Apple is pretty closed off with their ecosystems. You can play it on a Mac if you have one, but knowing Apple, I’m sure there is almost no (legal) way to play it outside of Apple products.

1 Like

I figured as much.

It’s a shame because the game is actually pretty fun. It’s not the greatest thing ever, but definitely a sweet distraction for an hour or 2.

3 Likes

IMG_2470

3 Likes

Finished through Chapter Two today and I honestly enjoyed this game. It’s an interesting new type of Bond story and I’m intrigued for the next Chapter.

2 Likes

Didn’t make the Top 10 for 2023…

Did it have a pink tie in it?

1 Like