0 voters

1 Like

My rankings of Group E are:

1. Gobinda
  2. Necros
  3. Emile Leopold Locque
  4. Zbigniew Krycsiwiki aka Jaws
  5. Irma Bunt

Again, I don’t consider the last two as their films’ primary henchmen, so I did not vote for them above the others even though I do like them. Additionally, I love Gobinda and think he’s a great henchman, so I can’t understand why he’s not more popular and isn’t getting many/any votes here either. He’s a very underrated henchman (and Octopussy a very underrated film).

Interesting take on Irma Bunt. She does, after all, kill Bond’s wife. Has an impact. Unless the thought is that OHMSS is another main Villain double-act and should be considred Blofeld & Bunt as a unit?

4 Likes

I can see why people would go with Irma Bunt as the main henchmen for the reasons you describe, but I’ve still always seen Grunther as the main heavy of OHMSS, probably because he is more of a physical threat. And while, yes, I tend to view Bunt more in a co-villain territory than henchman, I still see her more like Ernst Stavro Blofeld’s second in command–not quite as high as Blofeld but still in charge, though not as much of a henchman as Grunther. She’s kind of floating in no man’s land in between. I think the OHMSS and YOLT novels play it up that way too. She’s Blofeld’s confidant and staunchest supporter, but other than helping kill Tracy in the novels, she doesn’t do much as a physical threat.

Likewise, I’ve always felt that while Brad Whitaker and Georgi Koskov were in cahoots, to me it’s always seemed like Whitaker was the one in charge. And Elektra King is the villain of TWINE with Renard the henchman, similarly with Rosa Klebb being the villain in FRWL and Red Grant the henchman. The closest double bill for villains, I think, is Kamal Khan and Orlov in Octopussy, though I’ve always put Khan as the main villain.

1 Like

You may well have inspired some “Sideswipe” votes for later in the month here, as I was rather running out of ideas…!

3 Likes

Thanks. If you’d ever like some suggestions, I’d be willing to offer you some. Just ask.

1 Like

Additionally, you COULD make a case that Hai-Fat is the co-villain with Francisco Scaramanga in The Man With The Golden Gun as they are initially involved in the Solex Agitator theft together–at least until Scaramanga performs a hostile takeover and kills him midway through the film.