Deathmatch 2023 - Group A: Clobber

If unaware of British idiom, “clobber” as a noun is slang for clothing; as a verb it means beating people up. This is true. How oddly apt for a Deathmatch.

What’s also true is that Group Stage voting on clobber / garb / costumes – anything worn by anyone in the given film is up for your deep contemplation – closes on 30 November.

• Goldfinger
  • GoldenEye

0 voters

• Goldfinger
  • You Only Live Twice

0 voters

• Goldfinger
  • Tomorrow Never Dies

0 voters

• Goldfinger
  • A View to a Kill

0 voters

• GoldenEye
  • You Only Live Twice

0 voters

• GoldenEye
  • Tomorrow Never Dies

0 voters

• GoldenEye
  • A View to a Kill

0 voters

• You Only Live Twice
  • Tomorrow Never Dies

0 voters

• You Only Live Twice
  • A View to a Kill

0 voters

• Tomorrow Never Dies
  • A View to a Kill

0 voters

Goldfinger only lost against Goldeneye for me because of that blue thing he wears in Miami.

3 Likes

I’m obviously an outlier here, but YOLT wins in every matchup for me. The costumes are exotic and gorgeous. And it even has ninja outfits. And some great clobbering (verb) to boot, especially with the single shot rooftop battle and again… ninjas.

1 Like

That rooftop battle is actually what I always feel comes across as too staged - too many thugs waiting for their turn, too easily disposed altogether. Great photography though.

1 Like

I have always been inspired by You Only Live Twice to hide suction cups in my baggy grey pyjamas.

I am sure this applies to us all.

6 Likes

Nobody well-dressed should go without them. Science fact.

2 Likes

You are of course right in it being very staged, but as a kid I always loved it and as an adult I still grin whenever that scene occurs, along with conveniently located stacks of perfectly empty cardboard boxes for Bond to gracefully fall into as he escapes level by level at the shipyard.

1 Like

I went with:

1. GoldenEye
  2. Goldfinger
  3. Tomorrow Never Dies
  4. You Only Live Twice
  5. A View To A Kill