Deathmatch 2023 - Sudden Deaths (1)

The June 2023 Deathmatches are played out, and the month is awash with blood, viscera, disjecta membra and the occasional bionic eyeball, although no-one knows nor cares where that came from.

Whilst the slightly pointless exercise of putting the statistics together takes place, and as there are a few days left, some quick votes per remaining day.

28 June - Die Another Day Another Day

Although this year it may yet surprise us (it would be a bloody big surprise), across the Deathmatches and across the years to date, Die Another Day elements haven’t scored particularly well. Not always bottom of the category but it’s a perpetual long shot to get out of a Group Stage and into Round 2. Titles, perhaps.

It’ll remain in the Deathmatches, of course, for it is an Eon production and they must be held perpetually accountable for it, but does it theoretically stack up against its most obvious replacement, Never Say Never Again, in the current categories?

(NB I’m not bringing Never Say Never Again into Deathmatches until we have a number that works with the Group Structure - 26 doesn’t. 27 doesn’t really. 28 might. However this will mean we need Eon26 and Eon27 first and as that’ll only happen by 2048, I’ll be too old to remember Never Say Never Again anyway).

For 6, I’ve gone with Zao as Hench rather than Miranda Frost. However the final vote will determine the issue for September’s run of Deathmatches. Category 8’s a bit weak but we’re not dealing with particularly good films here, are we? Now get to work.

1. Villain
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

2. Film
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

3. Song
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

4. Bond
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

5. Women (Jinx v Domino)
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

6. Henchperson (Zao v Fatima Blush)
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

7. Titles
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

8. Victim (General Moon v Nicole)
  • Die Another Day
  • Never Say Never Again

0 voters

Decide who qualifies for September’s Henchperson Deathmatch - who is the principal Henchperson of Die Another Day?
  • Zao
  • Miranda Frost
  • Mr Kil
  • Vlad

0 voters

3 Likes

Henchperson was a harder category than I thought it’d be.

1 Like

I went with Die Another Day on everything except victim (Nicole).

As for henchperson, it’s Tan Ling Zao. He’s Tan-Sun Moon’s buddy and second in command and Bond deals with him more in confrontations. Miranda Frost is good, but she’s a mole, working more behind the scenes than out and out confrontations until the very end. So Zao is the primary henchman.

The villains of NSNA would grace any Eon production. In a film with much that doesn’t land, they nailed it with the casting and scripting of the villains.

3 Likes

I must confess: I really love the song „Never say never again“ and never understood the dislike. It is sunny and hopeful, perfectly attuned to the early 80‘s Bond songs.

2 Likes

Never

Never

Never say never again

Never

Never

Never say never again

Never

It predicts BeyoncĂ© of just repeating the title for far too long then crediting more “writers” than there are words.

Sorry, pet peeve.

2 Likes

But that’s part of the concept: in the days of old, “R’n’B” stood for “Rhythm and Blues”. Nowadays, it stands fo “Repetitive and Boring”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

IMG_0037

3 Likes

I have to confess, I’m starting to feel bad and a little guilty about DAD. Having been soundly trounced by all the “official” films, now it gets a shot at redemption against NSNA and I end up voting for the Connery film in every category but “titles” (which NSNA only qualifies for in the sense of “words that appear on the screen”).

If anything, it’s made me think of NSNA a bit differently. I’m not a fan, but when you break it down into these categories, in some ways I think it might beat up on entries I like much better, overall.

Also, Miranda is more of a “co-conspirator” than a henchperson. “Back-up villain,” maybe?

Now wondering whether it would have been any more or less offensive if Colonel Moon had “DNA-replacement therapied” into Miranda Frost, and all that would have entailed. Probably more offensive (and therefore what we do get is a pulled punch, unusual for the film), but given that Bond slept with her, that would have been EPIC. And given Mr Brosnan plenty to “do acting” about.

I voted for it as well. I dislike the movie’s score, but like the title song.

1 Like