Debating TV shows

3 Likes

This is the guy who brought back The Macra, he does love his deep cuts.

OBI-WAN KENOBI

I wanted to save all six episodes to binge watch - but today I caved in and watched the five available episodes in one sitting.

And I really like this series. I did like THE MANDALORIAN, was mixed on BOBA FETT and expected OBI-WAN KENOBI to be mediocre at best - due to so many negative reviews.

Again, don’t trust the reviews.

Sure, the narrative does employ many familiar Star Wars tropes. Yes, it services the fans with many nods at the movies. And it absolutely only exists because it can center on one beloved character during a timeline which is not yet explored - and was not really needed to be explored.

But it works nevertheless like a charm. It manages to combine the feeling of the prequel and the original trilogy in a most entertaining way (I never once checked my watch and was always surprised when an episode was over).

The best aspect is that the show absolutely deals with the aftermath of Kenobi´s failure to keep Anakin from being lured to the dark side of the Force. We feel Kenobi´s despair, his loss of self-confidence, his doubts about the future and the Jedi - and most importantly: his fear when he is confronted with Darth Vader.

Summary

And Young Leia is really a fantastic child actress. So easily this could have gone wrong. But she captures the perfect tone here, one really believes she could grow up to be Carrie Fisher´s Leia.

Also, Moses Ingram as Reva is magnificent. The internet-hate against her was shameful and in no way tied to her performance.

By the way, Rupert Friend as the Grand Inquisitor - wow, I would not have recognized him. But his line readings are most deliciously evil.

So far, Hayden Christensen is only in one episode, but I always liked him and found him underrated. Hopefully, he will return in a much bigger role soon.

And last but not least: Ewan McGregor, of course, is perfect here, and he anchors the show emotionally without doing too much. It´s a very subtle performance which is all the more impressive.

Will episode six stick the landing? We´ll see. As a prequel to the original trilogy we know that nothing bad will happen to Kenobi or (see hidden text, if you must). So this finale will mainly have to derive its tension from how things will happen, not from what will happen.

But at this point I already consider this show a success.

5 Likes

The professional reviews have been very good,
it’s, as it always has been with Star Wars, adult
men who are angry it didn’t make them feel like Star Wars did when they saw “THEIR” Star Wars when they were nine - this same group who gave so much abuse that Ahmed Best, the actor who played Jar Jar, was on suicide watch at one point, and made George Lucas, the man who made the whole thing in the first place, sell up because he “couldn’t go through all that vitriol again”

Something about Star Wars seems to attract that kind of “fan” to a level other series don’t, rivalled only by the Snyder cult. It is always a very small number, but how vocal and hyperbolic these ones are on the internet has, unfortunately, made studios pander to them more than once.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Comic book guy was not an exaggeration (3:21):

5 Likes

Fandom is where people come to complain about what they claim to like.

5 Likes

I agree - but that lot seem to want to personally attack people to the point of suicide. We’re healthy compared to that!

3 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

Noticing many actors known for comedy being cast in this.

2 Likes

Watched the final epidode of season 1 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
A perfect season - 10 episodes, and all 10 were either very good or excellent. It’s perhaps unfair to compare a 10 episode season with 26 episode seasons, but I’d say this is probably close to equal with S1 of The Original Series as the best first season of Star Trek, and comfortably the best of the new set of shows.

The crew is fantastic (excellent casting and each crew member is memorable and likable) and all have been given plenty of screen time. The episodic nature is refreshing when compared to the 10 hour strory slogs of recent Star Trek shows. There have been stylistically diverse episodes - there has been tense, comedic, dramatic, thought provoking and horror themed, and each has been well written and had moments that just make you smile and are genuinely moving without feeling preachy.

Summary

In the final epidode Kirk makes an appearance. I have to say, unfortunately the portrayal felt off and nothing like any iteration of Kirk we’ve seen before. I’m not opposed to him popping in every now and then, but his scenes were just jarring.

Pike accepting his fate to save Spock has really added weight to Spock’s action’s in The Menagerie. We now understand why Spock felt compelled to risk his career and life to give Pike some comfort.

It’s going to be a long wait for Season 2, but this is the Star Trek I’ve been waiting for for a very long time.

4 Likes

Bosch (Amazon Prime)

I know I already mentioned how great this show is. But after falling in love with the first season I did not expect to become so addicted to it that I continued with seasons 2,3 and currently 4. Glad that they have 7 available, with a new one called „Bosch: Legacy“ hopefully available soon here in Germany, too.

Titus Welliver is excellent in the title role, as is the whole ensemble, and really: this is how you can still create cop shows which vibrate with urgency, reality and subtlety.

Highly recommended.

4 Likes

It’s one of my favourite shows, I’ve heaped praise on it here before. Season 7 is very good. Its consistently brilliant and emotionally rich. Look forward to it, it’s worth the wait.

4 Likes

Finally finishing the rest of this, it does just get better and better as it goes. Looking forward to the next (3) seasons

Edit: season 2 looks good!

1 Like

Looks to be firmly in the MCU, and more Tim Roth is always a good thing.

On the side it seems Charlie Cox is about to be very busy.

3 Likes

I watched that trailer. I recognize how well made it is. How all the beats are set up and work precisely. How it can create a must-see affect in so-inclined viewers.

But I wonder whether this jokey, self-referential tone has become a trap for Marvel.

The “Guardians” did it very well the first time because then it was fresh and surprising.

Then “Ragnarok” picked it up and blew off the cobwebs of Thor.

But now it seems as if this is the way Marvel has decided everything has to go: constant wink-wink.

I am bored with this. I feel like sitting in a theatre and my neighbor talks my ear off with one funny aside after the other, jabbing my ribs with his elbow, going into an endless round of “I’m joking - or am I - I am - or am I really?”

Maybe I’m finally too old for Marvel.

4 Likes

The looking straight at the camera bit was very Fleabag/Enola Holmes. Like I said, it’s the return of Tim Roth that’s the series selling point for me.

1 Like

Maybe it’s time for DC!

It’s an interesting question, whether the whole wink-wink formula has a shelf life in comicbook blockbusters. Personally I admit to missing the earnestness of earlier superhero movies and lament that it can only seemingly be done today if they ‘go dark’. On the other hand, I daresay a lot of today’s more sophisticated audience look at those earlier ones and feel them naive. That the self-referential tone on display today is a more authentic response to what are palpably ridiculous situations, and that both sides of the screen need to be acknowledging this.

3 Likes

Wasn’t the first of the Russians they show you the bad guy in Alex Rider’s first season?

2 Likes

Guess so.

Then again, why is it necessary to tell stories with palpably ridiculous situations? Have we given up on anything else?

2 Likes