Debating TV shows

3 Likes

This is the guy who brought back The Macra, he does love his deep cuts.

OBI-WAN KENOBI

I wanted to save all six episodes to binge watch - but today I caved in and watched the five available episodes in one sitting.

And I really like this series. I did like THE MANDALORIAN, was mixed on BOBA FETT and expected OBI-WAN KENOBI to be mediocre at best - due to so many negative reviews.

Again, don’t trust the reviews.

Sure, the narrative does employ many familiar Star Wars tropes. Yes, it services the fans with many nods at the movies. And it absolutely only exists because it can center on one beloved character during a timeline which is not yet explored - and was not really needed to be explored.

But it works nevertheless like a charm. It manages to combine the feeling of the prequel and the original trilogy in a most entertaining way (I never once checked my watch and was always surprised when an episode was over).

The best aspect is that the show absolutely deals with the aftermath of Kenobi´s failure to keep Anakin from being lured to the dark side of the Force. We feel Kenobi´s despair, his loss of self-confidence, his doubts about the future and the Jedi - and most importantly: his fear when he is confronted with Darth Vader.

Summary

And Young Leia is really a fantastic child actress. So easily this could have gone wrong. But she captures the perfect tone here, one really believes she could grow up to be Carrie Fisher´s Leia.

Also, Moses Ingram as Reva is magnificent. The internet-hate against her was shameful and in no way tied to her performance.

By the way, Rupert Friend as the Grand Inquisitor - wow, I would not have recognized him. But his line readings are most deliciously evil.

So far, Hayden Christensen is only in one episode, but I always liked him and found him underrated. Hopefully, he will return in a much bigger role soon.

And last but not least: Ewan McGregor, of course, is perfect here, and he anchors the show emotionally without doing too much. It´s a very subtle performance which is all the more impressive.

Will episode six stick the landing? We´ll see. As a prequel to the original trilogy we know that nothing bad will happen to Kenobi or (see hidden text, if you must). So this finale will mainly have to derive its tension from how things will happen, not from what will happen.

But at this point I already consider this show a success.

5 Likes

The professional reviews have been very good,
it’s, as it always has been with Star Wars, adult
men who are angry it didn’t make them feel like Star Wars did when they saw “THEIR” Star Wars when they were nine - this same group who gave so much abuse that Ahmed Best, the actor who played Jar Jar, was on suicide watch at one point, and made George Lucas, the man who made the whole thing in the first place, sell up because he “couldn’t go through all that vitriol again”

Something about Star Wars seems to attract that kind of “fan” to a level other series don’t, rivalled only by the Snyder cult. It is always a very small number, but how vocal and hyperbolic these ones are on the internet has, unfortunately, made studios pander to them more than once.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Comic book guy was not an exaggeration (3:21):

5 Likes

Fandom is where people come to complain about what they claim to like.

5 Likes

I agree - but that lot seem to want to personally attack people to the point of suicide. We’re healthy compared to that!

3 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

Noticing many actors known for comedy being cast in this.

1 Like