Debating TV shows

So this is a thing that’s happening…

3 Likes

Cleese’s pension running out…

2 Likes

Been watching The Last of Us. It is so good. From the guest stars to leads, the entire cast is brilliant and the story has so far struck the perfect balance of fidelity to the game and deviations to better make the point in a different medium.

1 Like

I don‘t know the game, and after the last three years I am hesitant to watch a show about the world ending.

Should I watch anyway?

I’ll put it this way - Meet Bill, whose story makes up most of episode 3

Ron Swanson was the one who did enough prep for the apocalypse it seems.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I did recall you liked Ron. He is pretty much still Ron Swanson.

3 Likes

The White Lotus - Season 2

As magnificent as, if not even better than Season 1.

The best written and acted show around.

Simply astonishingly perfect.

Yay!

3 Likes

I‘m in.

1 Like

Slow Horses - Season 2

Utterly entertaining, thrilling, darkly funny, and the allusions to Bond per episode are a nice extra.

One more show which does not dim in quality in the second season but holds it and even surpasses it.

2 Likes

Unexpected but very welcome…

3 Likes

Really late. But I’d watch this.

You should. I’ve done that job of being the only staff member at a hotel at night. Episode 1 is not as fictional as you’d think.

Nothing to see here…

Well, Picard, husband and I have given up. Season 3 starting out engagingly enough, and we were looking forward to something closer to Season 1’s beautifully rendered story. The all-but-missing theme music, which I felt they ruined last season, should have been a clue.

Starting with the second episode, things got predictable, to the point where by the third episode we knew what was going to happen long before it happened. The heaping helping of fan service might be great for those who watched the original series (which I did not), but it quickly grew tiresome for us.

We don’t even feel like finishing out this season … which is frustrating. Season 1 remains one of my favorite television-viewing experiences. They gave an inspiring fresh take on an old character. But, at least for me, that ended with Season 1. All that followed has felt less than inspiring. Almost like all the good ideas were used up in Season 1, and now what?

At the time, the ending to Season 1 was so satisfying that we both agreed, “You know, they could end it right here.” Now it seems they should have.

Well, I had the totally opposite reaction. Season 3 is finally what I was hoping for, and Episode 3 was, IMO, the best episode of all the Picard seasons yet and maybe even one of the best in the whole TNG run. I thought it was completely unpredictable, full of harsh consequences and well-earned humor, reversing roles and piling up the dangers.

Different strokes, and all. I’m glad that you are enjoying it. Were you a regular Next Generation viewer? If so, then I can see why this would appeal to you. I think satisfaction is based on expectation. Our expectations are different from yours. Both my husband and I thought we knew what was coming next … and, sure enough, it did. So that was disappointing for us.

I actually am old enough to rank TOS as my preferred introduction to this universe, having been lured to TNG (which I initially rejected) only by my wife’s enthusiasm for it. DS9, SNW, Voyager and Discovery follow on my ranking (with Discovery being my least favorite show of all these).

Just out of my personal interest: did you really know in advance that

Summary
  • the captain would be massively injured?
  • Riker would assume command and Picard becoming his No.1, not vice versa?
  • the escape route would always lead them back to the enemy ship?
  • Riker, who at first tried to persuade Crusher´s son how wonderful Picard was, would finally throw Picard from the bridge, blaming him for recklessly killing the whole crew?
  • Picard, especially after trying to connect with his son after all, would throw all caution to the wind and strongly advice they should fight the enemy, only to see this attempt fail miserably?
1 Like
Summary

I found Picards attitude a nice continuation of TNG and it’s films. Picard when cornered gets reckless and thinks he can shout and bully his way out, sacrificing the very traits that got him his title, the tactician and the negotiator. I’m beginning to wonder if the placing of Jack Crusher was intentional on the bad guys part to keep Jean Luc off step and making those stupid mistakes.

1 Like