Debating TV shows

Picard keeps delivering! Only one episode was just so-so (Ep 7) but every other one seemed bigger and better than the one before. Fingers crossed for the finale next week.

Great series

What a great episode.

And yes, I loved that fan service at the end.

That is what I want when old heroes reunite.

To be clear, I absolutely love this season. But it should have been the first season.

1 Like

Agreed, I have a friend, who is a Star Trek fan, who has been trying to binge s2 so he can start s3. He finally gave up on s2 a few days ago as he was finding it too much of a struggle to get through and skipped to s3, which he is loving. I absolutely love s3, but I really do look back on s1 and s2 and scratch my head.

I was actually thinking that I wouldn’t have minded this season being officially The Next Generation season 8. It feels so separate to s1 and s2 of Picard and so necessary to the TNG mythos. It is a much a story and celebration of TNG and the crew as it is of the Picard character. And really, it has gone all in on fan service, why not go a bit further and call it TNG s8?

1 Like

I found

SPOILER BUT THE HIDE DETAILS TAB ISNT WORKING FOR ME

What the Borg have done, stealth assimilation of everybody using the transporters, Properly terrifying! The fan service ending helped, reminding you which crew can beat the Borg in insurmountable odds - which I notice they made a point of reminding you episodes ago when the captain of the Titan (RIP) was talking about Wolf 359.

I noted they got Alice Krige back as the Borg queen. That was a nice touch

1 Like

TNG series 8 was what I was thinking. Picard has always been at its best when it leant in with TNG reunions.

2 Likes
Summary

Anyone who has used a transporter has been stealth assimilated by the Borg but the grandparents are on the way

Engage! • Enterprise-D • Best Scene • Star Trek Picard (The Next Generation?) S03E09 - YouTube

1 Like

I did initially roll my eyes a bit at

Summary

The Borg reveal, but that plot point of stealth assimilation was so good I quickly embraced it. And really, of course the Borg were going to show up in Picard’s swansong!

The finale of the episode:

Summary

Incredible! Absolutely full on fan service, but I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such satisfying fan service! While I would have actually rather the Enterprise E be revealed (I love the E and don’t think we saw enough of it on screen. I’m disappointed that it’s apparently destroyed/out of commission. The TNG crew had the D for 7 years before it was destroyed and then lost the E … no wonder they had a reputation with Shaw), seeing the crew back on the Entetprise D, in a new episode of Star Trek was a joy. An Enterprise D vs F showdown will be a great finale!

2 Likes
Summary

I would’ve been worried if it was “just another Borg episode” but they cut that down very quickly

We Are The Borg! Star Trek Picard S03E09 - YouTube - again, I found all of them becoming Borg terrifying.

Anyone else notice the Admiral who accidentally went down on one knee to the Borg was the “Borg expert” from The Best of Both Worlds?

3 Likes

The fan service bit at the end kind of felt like them assuring “it’s okay, we can fix this”

2 Likes

I am only worried now that the last episode will kill off Picard.

Or that there really will not be a season 4.

1 Like

I can see Patrick Stewart wanting a firm ending, but I also see Paramount wanting to leave the door open for another TNG reunion.

I mean, they’ve spent almost three seasons bringing back the one they killed off.

I’m not spoiler tagging that. Nemesis came out in 2002.

Tom Hardy was a complete unknown at the time.

2 Likes

I could see more TNG with Riker in command (if Stewart does not want to return) and those crew members who would like to stay on.

1 Like

I’m hoping that paramount take notes that what works in Star Trek is an ensemble, not a bunch of leads for separate shows. This series picks up massively when more of the ensemble are together.

Not just the TNG ones, the Titan crew did have a nice dynamic that could have held it own series.

3 Likes

Absolutely, this is one of the reasons I think they did such a great job with Strange New Worlds, they really fleshed the crew out. It’s tricky to do in the 10 episode seasons we get now, but SNW showed they can do it.

4 Likes

This is also why I never really connected with “Discovery” - at least half the bridge ensemble remained unexplored and unused, focusing too much on Michael.

2 Likes
Summary
Summary

Sorta like social media algorithms rewiring people’s brains

3 Likes

Again, terrifying!

1 Like
Summary

Interesting analogy, especially when you consider it targets/affects the younger generation!

4 Likes

Servant (Season 4)

Hmm. I loved the first three seasons. No. 4 starts with two excellent episodes, and then I felt the story repeated beats from previous ones, then tried to give a surprise twist which was good… and then took it away again for an okay conclusion which still left me scratching my head because…

Summary

… the baby which was supposedly stolen and exchanged with the doll was… what… never stolen but an illusion shared by everyone? The same baby we saw grow older and interact with other people?