Description of a bubble room in THE MAN FROM BARBAROSSA

Summary

This text will be hidden

Could you help me to visualize the sterile “bubble” room Gardner describes in chapter 8 of TMFBB, page 80.

The sterile room was in a basement carved out and cemented like a bombproof shelter. The walls, Bond noted, were lined with the thick anti-electronic material they used in embassy bubbles, the bubble that had been more or less stolen from the American practice, as it took up little space, and was one hundred per cent secure, though it caused much discomfort to those who had to use the igloo-like facilities in embassy bowels. Here, at the dacha, there was a whole large room and it was clear that no expense had been spared. Though the walls and ceiling were well-lined, there were also small electronic bafflers, grey boxes with winking red lights, fitted into the roof and at each corner of the room. The door had an extra sliding section which sealed it off from the crude wooden stairs and there was no telephone – an extra precaution lest security was somehow breached and the instrument made live.

As I see it, this room is a huge cemented box with its own WALLS and ROOF inside the basement.
Like the box they held Raoul Silva, but with solid walls

If you watch the screen adaptation of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy there is a container-like structure on stilts which is where much of the Circus-based dialogue happens, inside looking like a maroon coloured recording studio. Similar descriptions of ‘sterile’ meetings/ops facilities go back to the 70s.

One supposes actual facilities may look a bit different and that set designers use the container approach to build on a budget what is otherwise not a spectacularly impressive set.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! That’s exactly what I needed!)))