Direct Messaging? UPDATE: feature enabled

How do we DM members?

Click on the userā€™s profile and a blue ā€˜messageā€™ icon will appear on the right hand side.

I tried thatā€¦ and nothing. No blue message icon.

Itā€™s something to do with how often one is on the forum and what one does there, seems to be something built into the infrastructure of the software - the explanation (or, at least, an explanation) is here:

I am still unable to send private messages to members even though I have achieved ā€œbasicā€ status. Is there something Iā€™m missing?

I think this must still relate to the limits set by Discourse to the different member levels. If you take a look at the above link Jim gave you will find that ā€˜basicā€˜ is indeed only the most basic level right after new. Discourse argues that somebody who has yet to

visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
casting at least 1 like
receiving at least 1 like
replying to at least 3 different topics
entering at least 20 topics
reading at least 100 posts
spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

will not have a need for private messages, simply because they didnā€™t yet spend enough time on our premises. But with time you should easily fulfill their criteria and reach member status.

Thanks for the expanation, @Dustin. I guess I need to start posting here more often!

Has anyone figured out the DM thing yet?

I contacted The Admiral and weā€™re still on to it. It is, admittedly, not as easy an issue to adjust as one would wish for since one feature influences numerous others we want to keep. Weā€™re going to announce any news regarding this option.

UPDATE:

As of now, all members will be able to use the private message feature.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the hardwork getting that updated.