Double Or Nothing by Kim Sherwood out 1st September 2022

Just finished ASLM and once again really enjoyed Sherwood’s work. 003 is a terrific character, though with the multiple story threads I feel she gets a bit short changed. This is a busy novel with more moving parts than we might be used to in our Bond fare, which may put some folks off. I was surprised by the sense of scope and scale the narrative style lends to the story. This feels like a massive adventure and a step up from the previous book, particularly in that regard. I have my specific hopes for book 3, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing how she brings this series in for a landing.

4 Likes

Some highlights from Kim’s Girl with the Golden Pen email:

And I’ve been editing Book 3 in the Double O series – more on that below.

Visit Trip Fiction for a rundown of the Venice locations in A Spy Like Me, featuring incredible photographs by my sister, brilliant artist Rosie Sherwood. Here’s a couple to give you a taste!

Visit Crime Reads for my essay on Women in the World of Bond

Join me at Golden Hare bookshop here in Edinburgh for a talk on adventurous women

Join me at Harrogate Crime Festival on 20th July, where I’m thrilled to be sharing a stage with Mick Herron and other spy writing luminaries

Join me at Edinburgh International Book Festival on the 16th of August for a special Double O event

The last event might be something special.

1 Like

Some interesting articles. She is truly a fan.

2 Likes

I’ve seen her curating author interviews in Edinburgh, and she was brilliant.

3 Likes

From Kim’s Substack Email.
Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

Scottish Crime Book of the Year

A SPY LIKE ME becomes the first Bond continuation novel to be listed for an award + genre debates, my James Bond bookshelf & writing talismans

KIM SHERWOOD
JUN 28 ∙ PREVIEW 40x40

18x18 18x18 18x18 18x18 READ IN APP18x18

Dear Reader,

I’m thrilled to say A SPY LIKE ME has been longlisted for the McIlvanney Prize for Best Scottish Crime Book of the Year!

550x336.95054945054943

I’m honoured to appear on a list with crime fiction legends like Val McDermid and Chris Brookmyre, plus my pal, the marvellous Charles Cumming. It’s especially exciting to see A SPY LIKE ME here as this is a series I’ve dreamed of writing since I was a kid and first fell in love with James Bond.

We think A SPY LIKE ME is the first 007 continuation novel for adults to be listed for an award, something I’m very proud to contribute to the James Bond legacy. (Though as a Bond continuation novelist I’m in illustrious company, so we might well be wrong, let me know if a prize has slipped through the net!)

Thank you Bloody Scotland, the crime writing festival behind the prize, and all the booksellers, librarians, bloggers and broadcasters who helped shape the longlist. You can read more about the prize here.

Get your copy of A SPY LIKE ME

550x550

This means that my novels have now been listed or won prizes for literary fiction, historical fiction and crime fiction, which is pretty mind-blowing.

Check out all of my books

511x517.5408

It’s also a nice thought because when I was studying creative writing, I was told it would be impossible to write across so many genres: I’d need a pseudonym, I was too-this or too-that, I’d never find an agent that way.

I’ve always admired multi-genre authors like Kate Atkinson, Michael Chabon, David Mitchell, Kazuo Ishiguro. A genre is made up of a set of conventions, whether it’s literary fiction or science fiction – partly constructed for the purposes of marketing, and partly a genuine set of expectations readers share, enjoy, and like to see refreshed and subverted. I also love writers who make a genre their own, like Elmore Leonard (though even he moved from westerns to crime) or Georgette Heyer – authors whose voice becomes its own genre. But as a reader whose bookshelf spans from Lee Child to Virginia Woolf, it’s exciting to have found the freedom to cross (and cross-pollinate) genres as a writer. I’m so grateful for all the support from readers who have got me here.

What’s your favourite genre? Do you read across genres? Do you have any genre bugbears – get annoyed at snobbery, or frustrated when sci fi and fantasy are mixed onto the same Waterstones shelf? Let me know in the comments!

Speaking of bookshelves, in my last creative writing video for paying subscribers (about the editing process), you may have spotted the bookshelf behind me. Long-term subscribers will know we bought our first house last year, and I designed deep forest green shelves in my study. A bookshelf is never finished, but I thought I’d share my current Bond shelves with you, and some thoughts on setting up a writing space, below. To read on and gain access to bonus content like this, upgrade to become a paying subscriber for £7 a month or £70 a year.

girl with the golden pen is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

Upgrade to paid

It’s wonderful to see so many new subscribers here, I love having you on the adventure with me!

From Kim, With Love x…

3 Likes
2 Likes