Drawn to 007 - Dynamite’s new hardcovers and beyond

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1712517834406826362

Not Bond related, but interesting titles, honestly.

As we approach the end of Phillip Kennedy Johnson’s run, I have to say I’ve enjoyed it. Curious to see which Garth Ennis we get - Hellblazer of bleak yet human stories or The Boys “look how shocking and controversial I can be!!!”

6 Likes
1 Like

That makes me think we’re getting “controversial and shocking” Ennis…not looking forward to this.

Cover image for JAMES BOND 007 (2024) #2 CVR A JOHNSON

JAMES BOND 007 (2024) #2 CVR A JOHNSON

DYNAMITE
DEC230300
(W) Garth Ennis (A) Rapha Lobosco (CA) Dave Johnson
Garth Ennis returns to Dynamite and brings us his first James Bond series – “Your Cold, Cold Heart”.
As Bond tracks the deadly path of Stalvoda and learns more about its origins, he faces another kill squad determined to stop the 00 in his tracks. But he may prefer facing gunmen on Terra Firma to the cold hell of space, as his trail leads him higher than he’s ever been before.
Featuring a cover by Dave Johnson (100 Bullets, Red Son, Deadpool), and interior art by Rapha Lobosco (James Bond: Black Box), “YOUR COLD, COLD HEART” kicks off the 10-year celebration of James Bond comics at Dynamite.
In Shops: Feb 21, 2024

3 Likes

The introduction to the storyline.

2 Likes

Nice to see they’re keeping the comic Bond continuity going. I do wonder if they owe Naomie Harris for very blatantly her as Eve Moneypenny…

3 Likes

Thanks to Diamond Comics, here are the cover and synopsis of the third issue of James Bond 007 :

STL308116.jpg

Inimitable author GARTH ENNIS accelerates the action in his inaugural James Bond tale with part three of “Your Cold, Cold Heart!”
The hunt for the stolen STALVODA formula has led Bond into orbit, where he meets a man from the project’s shady past - but 007 soon learns he’s not the only killer in space. Meanwhile, back on Earth, Moneypenny suddenly finds she’s also a target!

2 Likes

…so back to Fleming and not the films? Sure Ennis, sure…
IMG_4605

8 Likes

One thing that I’ve notice is that ever since The Moneypenny Diaries and Skyfall, Moneypenny has had her role expanded in the average Bond story. I’m happy, it’s paying off.

2 Likes

Warning: Spoilers!

1 Like

Where can i actually buy this, Amazon UK doesnt know it exists

https://www.amazon.co.uk/007-Country-Phillip-K-Johnson-ebook/dp/B0C828LSV8/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1705623607&refinements=p_27%3APhillip+K.+Johnson&s=digital-text&sr=1-6&text=Phillip+K.+Johnson

1 Like

Im just getting Phillip K Johnsons last. Interviewers keep claiming Garth Ennis started over a week ago

Thank you, that finally worked

2 Likes

Yeah I was having issues trying to pre-order it as well. Not sure what was going on there. I was confused as well by all the reviewers saying that it came out on the 10th. Rereading the end of King and Country, I was initially underwhelmed with the ending, but I’ve grown to appreciate it.

As for Ennis’s version, I’m happy that some of his more extreme tendencies have been reigned in. It’s still definitely a Garth Ennis comic, but it’s not as intentionally offensive as say Jimmy’s Bastards (which we’re still waiting on issue 3 of the second series of). I did have to laugh at that review saying

The designs for Bond, M, Q, and Miss Moneypenny are unique and memorable.

These are the same designs for them that have been around since the beginning of the Dynamite series.

At any rate I am surprisingly looking forward to the rest of this series and where Ennis takes the character.

Summary

I am a little disappointed that the synopsis for the comic gives away who the villain of the piece seems to be: “Former agent Archibald Tyron is another, and he’s also carrying a grudge - one that’s aimed squarely at the heart of His Majesty’s Secret Service!” The idea of a former 00 being the big bad is nothing new, but I like the idea of it being an older agent, from a different era. Which was the initial idea for GoldenEye, I seem to recall?

2 Likes

The first printing sold out, Dynamite will be running another printing.

3 Likes

That’s hilarious!

It’s continuity in the look was brought up early on in an interview with one of the artists, it was assumed that each new writer/artist team would change what the series was like drastically in their own runs, but after Diggle/Casalanguida decided they were keeping it, the rest have just followed suit.

2 Likes

Cover and synopsis for issue 4 of James Bond 007:

STL312169.jpg

Returning from a death-defying trip to the International Space Station, Bond resumes his search for the stolen STALVODA formula. But once he discovers where the trail ultimately leads, the legendary Double O agent finds himself playing for the highest of stakes - and setting a trap for his enemies that risks turning all of MI6 against him!

3 Likes