GoldenEye 007 Nominated for Video Game Hall of Fame

Anime News Network is reporting that the Nintendo 64 classic “GoldenEye 007” has been nominated for the 2020 class of the Video Game Hall of Fame.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-20/2020-video-game-hall-of-fame-reveals-nominees/.157708

The complete list of nominees is as follows:

Bejeweled (2001)
Centipede (1981)
Frogger (1981)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Guitar Hero (2005)
King’s Quest (1980)
Minecraft (2011)
NBA Jam (1993)
Nokia Snake (1998)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (1985)

I remember Frogger…

Although I have not played it in years, I still have my N64 and all the games, including goldeneye and the world is not enough. I only bought the console in the first place for goldeneye!

Oh! Memories of the late 1990s in my early to mid 20s of coming back from the pub and everyone who had a Nintendo controller teaming up to play the multilayer version of the shoot out game, in DK mode!

I am sorry to report that Goldeneye was not elected this year–the hall calls were given to Minecraft, King’s Quest, Centipede and Bejeweled.

Minecraft over GoldenEye. What a joke.

1 Like

I understand Minecraft being selected. It is the best selling game of all-time (though that may eventually be surpassed by Grand Theft Auto V, that still, 7 years after its release, is among the top 20 best selling video games every month). Goldeneye will get its due. Honestly, what’s stranger is what is missing from that list: Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Call of Duty 4, Resident Evil 4, God of War, GTAV, Bioshock, Skyrim, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Colossus, to just name a few.

1 Like

Even though GoldenEye N64 was not nominated for induction this year, here’s who got called to the Hall this year:

TLDR:

Animal Crossing [encompassing the original Japanese-only N64 version and the later, globally-released GameCube version] (2001)

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (1985)

StarCraft (1998)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (1982)