Identifying Spectre's Agents in Thunderball

I’ve been curious about this for a long time. I’ve tried asking about it on Reddit and other forums, but so far to no avail.

I’d like to definitively identify all of the Spectre agents in Thunderball (at least by number).

When Blofeld meets with them(0:08:45), there are 13 men present, including Ernst himself (#1) and Largo (#2), with an empty chair for Bouvar (#6). None of the rest of the agents are identified in the closing credits, but all of them are identified in other books and online resources (including IMDB).

Some of the IDs are clear, based on the dialogue (#5, #6, #7, #9, #10 and one of the #11s). For example, when Blofeld asks for a report from #7, Cecil Cheng answers. But where do the other actor/# pairings come from? And why do we believe they’re accurate (if we do)?

There seems to be a pattern to the numbers, at least in the front. Why does it go off the rails in the middle? And why do we think the guy sitting up front (under Blofeld) is also #11, when a different #11 is clearly identified in the scene?

It’s also worth noting that there’s a later scene (0:36:49) where Blofeld meets again with three of the original agents. Is this significant?

I’ve confirmed that all of the #/name/location pairings below are accurate (according to IMDB’s “uncredited” listings). I have some thoughts and theories, but I’m curious to hear others.

[sorry for the composite image - as a new user, I’m not allowed to upload more than one]

1 Like

Welcome. I am sure the brain trust can help. And if someone can’t…

yolt+piranha1

5 Likes