Is there anything in Bond history worse than the tidal wave scene?

Better, definitely.

Oh yes, so much better!

YES …The entire Danny Craiggy series of Bond films.

This may well be a perfectly valid view and possibly held justifiably by many, were it not undermined by its delivery through the medium of cretin.

6 Likes

Possibly a Sun journalist incognito. The writing standard certainly suggests as such.

Blofeld in drag is worse than the tidal wave scene

The Killing Zone

You’re giving too much credit to a privately-printed fanfic. Anyone here (or anywhere) could do the same, and hope that their effort will be regarded as a “lost” or “limited” edition.
Besides, I’ve read even worse fanfics (wherein the author didn’t decide to kill 007 off in the end).

1 Like

Blofeld in drag is the cherry on top of the queer sundae that is DAF

2 Likes

Yes it is, but it’s one of my favourite sundaes! For humour and set design, it’s pretty much untouchable.

My vote for tidal wave matching awfulness would go to the non Eon moment Bond, Domino and a horse plunge from the turrets of Palmyra… in slow motion no less! A shame, Largo and Fatima are absolute class as villains.

6 Likes

Agreed–worrying about saving the franchise brought out the best in all parties.

(And when I use “queer” it is most always complimentary)

3 Likes

I think Bond offering himself to Blofeld at the end is worse. Dropped off in an inflatable ball, moving across to the oil rig with an incredible sense of direction (I don’t think the ball is see through) and then not being killed. It’s a strategy that relies on the mercy of the villain from the outset.

However, that allows Connery to deliver a brilliant one-liner, whilst wearing a fabulous suit. This absoloutely fits the logic of DAF , in my opinion DAF never breaks its own camp, internal logic and therefore can’t, in context, be considered embarrassing.

5 Likes

Agreed! It’s ridiculous: it knows it’s ridiculous: I bask in the ridiculousness!!!

2 Likes

And the way Connery leans back in the corner of the contraption that lifts him onto the oil rig.

3 Likes

Yes, just effortlessly cool because he knows he is Bond and he’s finally comfortable with that.

1 Like

DAF encapsulates the grotesque nature of the whole franchise in one film: there are scenes of fascinating brutality and horror - the fight in the lift and Bond trapped in the smouldering coffin - and then the whole film takes a step back and chuckles at its own hilarious bizarreness. Bond walking his rat…

If only the finale had had a little more danger and a big deal less summer clearance sale appeal: the goons look like they were fitted out by Lowe’s, the ‘climactic’ battle is anything but and the tricks don’t help keeping up the illusion. The last curtain for Kidd and Wint beats the oil rig thingy by miles…

3 Likes

Bruce Glover does what his son has made a career out of; the creepy weirdo, but owns the film with it (American Gods’ Mr World is the closest Crispin has come to matching it) and that yanks the film back up again for the coda.

The last act feels like it was the end of the shoot, everyone was tired, and they all went

“F*** it, that’ll do”

In every department.

3 Likes

Effortlessly cool in that sequence

I was complaining a while back about the massively anti-climatic climax of DAF and a kind CBNer (can’t remember who, i’m afraid - sorry kind CBNer) pointed out that during prep for the climax someone accidentally blew the explosives before they were rolling and so they had to curtail what had been intended.

I fantasise that the intentions where the suitably big, bombastic, action packed finale that Connery’s (at the time) curtain call deserved.

As it stands it really is pants; the ‘You’re troubles are all behind you now’ line being the only real sign of life.

2 Likes