Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

I don’t think Neeson will be Frank Drebin,

They will probably only use „The naked gun“ as a brand title.

Which, by the way, only our generation still recognizes.

1 Like

Sadly this isn’t how modern Hollywood works. ‘Naked Gun Remake’ is more likely to get the greenlight than ‘Seth MacFarlane/ Liam Neeson Cop Movue.’

That, unfortunately, is true.

But creative people will find a way to use this.

Which makes it something of an odd choice, I would think. I would agree that only people of a certain age or older will recognize “The Naked Gun” as a bankable brand, which makes this whole thing just odd. If you’re going to do what would amount to an unrelated, even potentially unrecognizable version of such a property, you would want to go for a brand name that has a wide appeal, that would be able to bank on nostalgia while also drawing in, more importantly in the studio’s eyes, a younger demographic. I don’t see where releasing a Naked Gun movie without Nielsen accomplishes any of what they would want to accomplish.

We’re almost 30 years out from Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult. Surely there’s a more recent property that they could launch from in order to get Neeson his comedic bonafides.

In that spoof genre, maybe not.

But that’s not what studios care about.

They react to a brand name, and internationally they will be able to sell „The naked gun“ and Liam Neeson.

Let’s wait for the result. If they actually make the film. No guarantees these days.

The fandom that cried Mephisto…

1 Like

Says the same as Kathleen Kennedy*, Benoit Blanc getting two films commissioned slowed him down, but his Star Wars trilogy is still happening.

*I know, she’s worse than Hitler to fans of Star Wars in a way that definitely isn’t sexist :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Saw Black Adam today which I actually enjoyed. It’s one of the better DCEU films although that’s not really a high bar to jump. Quite liked Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate, just wished he had a larger role.

1 Like

If they can drag Johnson’s Star Wars out until 2027-2032 then The Last Jedi will have become nostalgic and people will love.

4 Likes

They’re Star Wars fans, the film that came out when they were 7 is perfect, everything after is trying to murder them. They’re an odd bunch.

2 Likes

I wonder - is it the group which saw the prequel trilogy which hates with a vengeance?

I was 8 when the original trilogy started, and I welcomed every new film or series, not hating or crying silly things about George Lucas doing to me terrible things to my childhood.

Oh, so you’re not a true Star Wars fan!?!?!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t think everyone who likes Star Wars is like that, it’s just, for some unknown reason, they’re the ones who keep being pandered to.

1 Like

Even worse: I also love STAR TREK.

And for some reason there are “fans” who fervently believe you can only be fan of WARS or TREK.

Oh, boy…

3 Likes

You monster!

1 Like

1 Like

I just saw the movie too, and agree. It’s not bad at all. Quite entertaining, and I like the angle they took with the Justice Society. Brosnan still has buckets of charisma and put in a fine performance.

Definitely not in the race for Bond 7 any more, I’d say.

6 Likes

Unless the next film tanks and/or the new DC guy at WB decides to recast…

1 Like

If he’s doing another Superman then Cavil’s window has closed. Realistically a new Superman isn’t going to hit cinemas until 2025 at the earliest, same time as Bond. There’d be too much production overlap for him to do both and certainly not enough time for anyone to gauge the reaction of his return.

1 Like