Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

Totally forgot about this guy. Had to look him up just now, still doesn’t strike a chord. :man_shrugging:t3:

IMG_2862

4 Likes

That animated GIF is hilarious!

3 Likes

Admittedly it’s not the first time I’ve used it in this thread, but when you look at the projects being announced… well… it’s been needed :wink:

2 Likes

A reboot of Jurassic Park? Didn’t it just end like a couple of years ago?

I guess this is a natural consequence of the beginning of the decline in Marvel’s popularity. As we see less in the way of superhero movies (although there will still be a ton of them), other familiar franchises will begin to make their returns.

3 Likes

The only Jurassic Park project I would be interested in is a multi-part (maybe 8ish episodes?) redo of the first novel.

The Spielberg film was fine for what was but it was not the novel.

4 Likes

I’d be down for that. Wouldn’t mind seeing them properly adapt The Lost World either. I don’t remember much about the novel, as I read it just the once back probably within a couple of years of its initial release, but I remember it being quite different from the Spielberg film. Going back and doing something like you suggest, a multi-episode adaptation that could span across several hours rather than being condensed into a 2-2.5 hour film could greatly benefit Crichton’s original vision.

1 Like

I don’t remember much about it either - only that film and book were quite different. Heck the first scene of the movie was actually the first scene of the Jurassic Park book! I think a re-read of both are in my future.

I’m in two minds about the Jurassic Park news, but if they are making another one I think a full reboot is definitely the way to go.

I adore Crichton’s novel, and as great as Spielberg’s Jurassic Park was, there is a vast amount of untapped material and ideas there.

As for Chrichton’s The Lost World, I reread it for the first time in a while a year or so ago and didn’t care much for it. In fact, I’d say I preferred the film. I understand he wrote it knowing it would be filmed and it reads very much like it.

As for the films, Jurassic Park is of course fantastic, but I really enjoy The Lost World and find it very underrated. The setting, premise and suspense is fantastic. The final act I go back and forward on, but is still a good spectacle.
The Jurassic World series started well (I was surprised how moving I found it seeing the open and functional park after all this time) but quickly went downhill.

I’d rank them:
Jurassic Park; The Lost Word; Jurassic World; (a big gap) Jurassic Park 3; Fallen Kingdom; (another big gap) Dominion

The first one was delightful entertainment, the second still had some very well directed, tense scenes.

All after those were just rehashs of rehashs.

Now… another movie about dinosaurs going crazy?

IP, I know. Presales.

1 Like

1st was an instant classic.
2nd followed the Bond tradition of going bigger and more outrageous (personal fave dinosaur moment is the T Rex van attack, especially the cracking glass moment… though honourable mention goes to velociraptor gymnastics, which really made me chuckle)
3rd was meh… dinosaurs eat some people and some people get away.

I haven’t seen any others and have no interest in doing so, and even less interest in a second resuscitation. Let the dinosaurs be and let’s move on.

2 Likes

There are hundreds of unused series from various different sf/fantasy (sub-)genres, literally something for every taste from steampunk to dark-academia horror and back to epic fantasy. At this point hitting audiences over the head with the same familiar old stuff in the nth iteration is refusal to fulfil the raison d’être of entertainment industry.

3 Likes

When I first saw THE LOST WORLD in the theater, my response was that it was the better movie.

That I have never bothered to revisit either film provides a caveat.

2 Likes

For all entertainment franchises:

1 Like

This.

And while a new JP might bring in some money it won’t be the massive success these tentpoles need to be.

Studios did not learn anything from last year.

5 Likes

A new Jurassic movie being fast-tracked for 2025…

Universal opening their new theme park Epic Universe in 2025…

2 Likes

They really learned their lesson from the poster for the first film:

2 Likes

Orange is the new teal…:man_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Does it?

“Cool” violence as problem solver.

Exactly what this world needs…

2 Likes

One last thing on the Jurassic news, I kind of hope that Colin Trevorrow doesn’t direct (or co-write) again. It’s time for a fresh voice for the series. Same with Chris Pratt leading, he’s proving how overexposed he is for movie franchises.

1 Like