Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

As a way to comment on our tribal political situation there probably will be more than 5 more films possible…

1 Like

It’s funny - I haven’t actually seen any of these movies based on nothing more than me assuming that anytime Hollywood makes something based on existing IP it’s crap (the Godzilla/Kong stuff comes to mind), but it seems maybe I have shortchanged this series and I might give it a try…

2 Likes

PLANET OF THE APES at its core has this social satire that isn’t just epitomised in that famous last frame of the 68 original film but dates back to Boulle’s novel. The first stretch of five films in fact made ever more of this allegory satire heritage as the novelty of the ape masks wore off.

The 2001 remake was quite pointless; visually impressive but creatively disappointing. The three films of the reboot then went a different route, concentrating on showing us our own world going to pieces. Those were largely satisfying productions starting out in Stephen King country and going ever deeper into its own direction.

As such, these actually bothered to adapt the material in a timely fashion and work just as much as social commentary as entertainment franchise like the originals did 50 years ago. Setting out for five further films may seem like milking it. But based on previous experience this might be a worthwhile series.

3 Likes

Oh, of course, dear studio, you don’t think people want an unconventional horror film, only a typical run of the mill and instantly forgettable mishmash nobody likes.

Salem’s Lot was my first King, I must have been about 17. And the cynical youth I was back then, hardened by Corman, by Tomb of Dracula and John Sinclair (google it) in my early teens, was definitely scared by the tome. Despite the fact there’s only one brief explicit splatter scene and most other horrors are either just implied or addressed in dialogue. It’s a powerful horror novel, one of the very best. But it’s nowhere to be found on the splatter-seismograph current big screen productions usually cater to. If anything it’s probably closest to Hitchcock and Siegel.

2 Likes

Same here.

I read Salem‘s Lot for the first time when I was a teenager, lying sick with a bad cold in my bed. And I couldn’t stop reading until I finished it. And I was so scared by it the whole time.

The Marsten house…

P.S. I know John Sinclair, too :wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

The real question that should be asked is how many adaptations of Salems Lot do we need?

2 Likes

If you’re a fan of the Tobe Hooper version, this is a fun video. Looks like a gorgeous area…

2 Likes

Ever wondered why Tom Hardy was not being considered for Bond?

4 Likes

IMG_3988

3 Likes

Whatever it will turn out to be in the end, it sure seems to have been a ride to get there.

3 Likes

I like Hardy but never understand this behaviour by some actors. Through my brother in-law I know one actor who has had some good success in Hollywood. In his early days he remarked that he did not get parts because of his good looks. He is very good looking but noted so is everyone else in Hollywood. He said he got parts because he always showed up on time.

4 Likes

Yes. I‘m sold.

3 Likes

Also, and this shows either the breadth or the weirdness of my taste - despite the horrible and horribly vicious reviews for Chris Pine‘s directing debut it seems right up my alley.

2 Likes
1 Like

Sweeney…of course.

Looks like goofy fun. Not quite Lebowski - but going in the general direction with a tricycle.

1 Like

https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-woman-of-tomorrow-2026-release/

1 Like

Keep Dennis Dugan from directing and beating up kids, (it’s a bit of a creepy trademark of his, I’ve noticed) and it’s a maybe. Still one of my favorite Roger Ebert reviews.