Movies: Presumably 2024, maybe Beyond

The idea that a film could be said to be “saving” the cinema industry with a take of just over $40 million shows just how far the industry has fallen. Or that we’re just catching up to just how lost its been for a while.

3 Likes

Indeed. I don’t think much of the current crop of actors. I wouldn’t call them stars and they certainly don’t compare to their predecessors. Mix that in with questionable plot lines and franchise burnout and you have the current quagmire.

4 Likes

How many films have “saved” the cinema in the last few years, only for it to be back in mortal peril again a few months later?

One film making a boatload of money doesn’t mean the cinema is saved. If a film – or even a pair of them like last year – could “break the spell” and put audiences back in the seats consistently, then maybe cinema would be saved. But it doesn’t work like that. To the extent there’s been any “bouncing back,” it’s been consistent with physics: each bounce gets you a little lower off the ground than the one before and adds another bruise.

4 Likes

https://x.com/Todd_Spence/status/1799183050988986428

This is oddly pertinent to this conversation.

4 Likes

Indeed, we observe a shift in mass entertainment that will necessarily mean the entire industry must find new ways to earn its living.

3 Likes

Greed wasn’t good after all - who would have thought?

4 Likes
4 Likes

While I will watch anything with Tom Cruise in it, a statement backed up by the fact that I forced myself to sit through that last Mission: Impossible film, there’s a big part of me that hopes they don’t go through with this. They literally perfected the legacy sequel with Top Gun: Maverick. There’s really nowhere else to go from here but down.

7 Likes

https://www.cbr.com/jurassic-world-4-filming-first-plot-details/

I hope Scarjo gets eaten.

It’s so great that original ideas finally get a chance again…

1 Like

The movie is all about that character being a young recruit, lost in life. Miles Teller is pushing 40. Not sure what they’re doing here…

2 Likes

We’ll all have to work longer in the future…:man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Like virtually all film and TV roles here in the states, Teller will certainly be playing down in age quite a bit.

I know this was meant as a joke, but this is actually something that a lot of these types of films will have to take into account as we move forward.

2 Likes

I loved the first one, and this seems to be a good sequel.

Just thinking: if this had been a live-action movie about puberty would it have scored that well?

In other words: are we as a society only able to agree on something when it is given us as animation?

2 Likes

By the way…

Interestingly, tracking only asks 2000 people, then compares other movie openings to arrive at their estimates.

Yeah.

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

But there is only one Rian Johnson, Netflix.

3 Likes

Normally I would be really excited about this but seeing “History of the World Part II” has knocked that down a peg or two…

2 Likes

Looks like an interesting direction to take a sequel. I like the idea of

Summary

going with an in-universe celebrity as the next victim of the curse.

1 Like