My upcoming trip to the University of Iowa

Hi everyone,

A while back I learned the widow of Bond screenwriter Richard Maibaum donated her husband’s papers to the University of Iowa after his death. Next week I’ll be taking a trip to the University to delve into these archives, the contents of which are listed here:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/scua/msc/tomsc150/msc149/msc149.html

For people who know more about this subject than myself, I’d like to know what I should focus on. I’d like to reproduce all of the Bond-related material on hand, but I’ll only be there for a few days and I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to get to it all (though I will have a companion to help out) so I don’t want to waste time combing through stuff that’s already been widely available for years. What I’m really hoping to find is the early draft of OCTOPUSSY that featured S.P.E.C.T.R.E. as well as the early version of A VIEW TO A KILL in which Zorin’s evil plan involved crashing Halley’s Comet into Silicon Valley.

To my knowledge this material has never been explored in its fullest, and I feel the Bond fan community deserves to know all that this collection contains. Thanks for your input!

3 Likes

We support you in your quest! Enjoy yourself, have fun too!

2 Likes

Fantastic opportunity! Looking forward to hearing from your findings!

2 Likes

I really really support you in your quest too and haste to read what you trip will produce. I want go there so much too, but being a french guy, it’s impossible. Some other thing who can interess you :

• The first draft of The Diamonds are eternals who include Irma Bunt, Draco, a poursuit on lake Meade… and late the twin borther of Goldfinger.
  • The first Dr. No script : with the monkey and the panama canal plot.
  • The living daylight : the reboot verssion with the first Bond mission ever
  • “Never Say Never Again. Notes and clippings, 1983. [Not a Maibaum project]” could be interresting too.
  • On Her Majesty’s Secret Service 1967
  • The first treatment of TSWLM whitch inclued Spectre

It’s in these moment we regret to not have the ring of Roger Moore in AVTAK for discret photography xD

Unfortunately, I don’t think the early version of TSWLM with S.P.E.C.T.R.E. would be included in this particular collection as that treatment was written by Anthony Burgess.

Sounds like a great opportunity. Hope you have an informative and, above all, fun time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This sounds great, coco. I look forward to seeing what you find.

1 Like

Anthony Burgess have C.H.A.O.S. but Maibaum have SPECTRE in the begining of his story : http://www.commander007.net/2016/02/lespion-maimait-scripts-originaux/

Good luck, @coco1997! I’m really envious of your trip and your search. Please keep us informed.

Dr No and DAF should be two really interesting gems!

2 Likes

So, how it was @coco1997 ? :grinning: