News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

In a sense, I think one can argue the opposite as well:

If there is a chance that Craig returns for Bond 26, then let Mendes get them out of the corner he painted them into, so a new director could finish off the Craig run without it feeling too tacked on or disconnected from SP.

To paraphrase M in LTK: “Leave it to Mendes. It’s his mess. He’ll clean it up.”

So…go for both? Mendes to tie off plot threads then a new director do a stand alone.

Id say do that , but…the albatross that is MGM…

Mendes did say after the release of SPECTRE that he could think of many ways how to continue the story.

And after SKYFALL he justified his return saying that he had the feeling that he had started things he needed to follow up on.

So, yeah, those statements still apply. And maybe SPECTRE wasn´t his fault alone, after all. Maybe Mendes really had a fantastic plan that was undone by so many behind-the-scenes misfortunes, the SONY hack, Craig´s injury, etc. so that the end result could only be a compromise. Maybe he wants a chance to really finish off a trilogy and end on a high note as well.

I think they wanted Villineuve, but will settle for Mendes as a stopgap, because Craig is probably leaning towards B26 if it means working with Villinueve and Deakins. Who could blame him?

I love what Mendes did with Spectre. The only think i don’t like is the terrible final act in London which feels to me like something that was foisted upon Mendes at the last minute.

I think the fact their “practicalities of life” writer got a credit (that he didnt get on Skyfall) would suggest Craigs injury lead to MANY rewrites - as you’d expect when the lead in an action film breaks his leg near the beginning of the shoot.

Interesting, i wasn’t aware that he’d broken his leg. Well, whatever they had to change in the body of the film worked for me - just that final act which didn’t. Would that have been a rewrite due to the leg?

Not having seen the script ive no idea what exactly got rewritten, but Butterworth getting a credit would suggest it was a hell of alot. To give perspective - he did the same job on Skyfall and got no official credit (Mendes made sure people knew he had worked on it though, hes that sort of director)

For the sake of accuracy - he didn’t break his leg, he had a tear in his knee…

Yes, for the sake of accuracy, he tore one of his cruciate ligaments (they connect the upper leg bone, lower leg bone and knee cap) Doing so removes your ability to use your leg as well as being agonisingly painful - Pulled one in my left knee a couple of years ago, the ligament didn’t tear on me, part of knee cap snapped off instead. You are HIGHLY recommended to not use the leg for six months after the surgery, which I imagine puts quite strain on a filming schedule.

MGM reported 3Q earnings today. Gary Barber merely said Bond 25 distribution not resolved yet.

Going from the possibility of Villenueve (sp?) back to Mendes, quite honestly, just saps whatever excitement I had for B25 right out of me. We’ve been there and done that at this point, and especially with SPECTRE being quite possibly the worst film in the franchise, it’s time to move on.

I’m in exactly the same place, unfortunately.

I’m not sure why Mendes would want to return - I didn’t see enough in SP to indicate that he has much more to give to the franchise, (and I love SF and give Mendes great credit for that). For no-one sake’s but history itself, I’d rather he stated that he was done with it.

The franchise does seem to have a habit of going a film to far with its directors - there’s a case to be made that for Hamilton, Gilbert, and even Young, their last film is their weakest, or in Young’s case, uneven. I’d offer that onlly Glenn was able to end on an upward arc, with TLD and LTK providing a positive bookend to the puppyish enthusiasm of his debut.

A new script (if that’s what’s in the works) and a new director would be best for the franchise. And I think the lure of doing DC’s last is almost as attractive proposition as introducing a new actor.

1 Like

Again, lots of smoke here. I doubt Mendes would come back, but, as mentioned by a few, it might happen. SPECTRE wanted to go somewhere and did, but not how intended. I think with it being Daniel’s last, bringing back Mendes might be a chance to resolve all the mess and they’ve clearly given themselves a wide birth to really deliver a solid Bond.

Does anyone know or have links to what the “falling out” was between Mendes and Craig? Was it the script or other forces beyond their control? I never got any sense of what it was other than vague comments on message boards. Anyway Hollywood makes strange bedfellows. Actors and directors who swore they would never work again often do so it could happen.

I would be more than happy for Mendes to return. For those who were disappointed with Spectre it’s a chance to redeem himself in their eyes, for others like myself who really loved Skyfall and Spectre it gives Mendes the opportunity to wrap up the Craig Era.

1 Like

I’d be happy to see Mendes back. My only real problem with Spectre was the half baked idea to give Bond and Blofeld a family connection. True, Mendes could probably have vetoed this ridiculous idea if he had wanted, but it should have been blocked long before the script got anywhere near him so there are plenty of others who take equal responsibility. What Mendes does do is to film in a stylish way and with a touch of the Moore humour that inho has been missed, so I’m fine with more of that!

This has become an absurd play. If MGM has not solved this issue up to this point it will probably take even more time, maybe even causing another delay of BOND 25 - or another rushed production.

Really, MGM has to go down so that they have to sell BOND to a studio which is capable of handling this property with care.

1 Like

It’s hard to disagree with that at this point.

The Telegraph seems to know something we don’t…

CDB01427-6669-4BC9-AED4-391A85B6AFCF

Ah, there he is!

Sorry, was just calling bull.

1 Like