News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

I hope Boyle will not insist or rely on his trademark breaking of the fourth wall.

Bond films are straightforward told crime stories. We are invited to identify with the main character but not to question the story itself as a fabrication of different perspectives.

Personally, I think Boyle has overused this gimmick anyway, and it´s a clumsy ploy to get attention.

1 Like

Like anything if it’s done well we’ll all love it. But it’s a very tall order to deconstruct the bond format to such an extent.

Quite a few Fleming books jump around in time, especially at the beginning.

1 Like

I think we’re getting too hung up on this “idea” wording, i don’t think he had one literal idea he wanted for the film. I think what was actually meant (outside of The Sun) by that was that Boyle knew what kind of Bond movie he wanted to make when he came on board, just like his 11 predecessors no doubt did.

Probably. Also, EON and MGM wanted to have a name director. He was definitely courted, he agreed to have this great opportunity, and his idea of how BOND 25 should be developed was given to his writer.

In the end, most directors I have worked with also always claim they have THE great idea for a project - and then it turns out that it is really one idea in the broadest possible sense. An idea one has to turn into a concept to make it work.

Well, I cannot wait to hear about casting and locations. One thing´s for sure: Boyle will have BOND 25 offer lots of energy, after the more dramatic and severe proceedings which are more in Mendes´ ballpark.

2 Likes

Same. Theres actually a name for this when a lie or exaggeration is intrinsically in the conversation but no party believes the lie itself or that anyone else believes it. Be damned if I can remember the term though.

1 Like

‘Producing’

7 Likes

I would love to be hanging around Pinewood Studios right now with Star Wars Episode IX days aways from filming and Bond 25 ramping up.

This was already kind of unneccessary for Bond… didn’t really add anything - I can’t say I’m clamouring for internal monologue and I consider myself reasonably open minded to Bond evolving and changing

3 Likes

Daniel Craig’s fifth and final James Bond movie starts shooting at Pinewood Studios this December.

However very little is known about the secretive Bond 25, except for regular crew members returning including Special effects supervisor Chris Corbould.

Speaking at the opening of 007 ELEMENTS, a new Bond Cinematic Installation in Austria, Chris said: “[It’s] very exciting. I’m not going to talk about it, but I can’t remember being so excited about going on to a Bond. “It’s going to be very, very special.”

Corbould, who also worked on Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy and two of the latest Star Wars movies, was asked at a roundtable interview if there would be a similar focus on realism with Bond 25.

He added: “I wouldn’t be doing it otherwise. Think the Olympics.”

The Special effects supervisor added: “It’s still very early days and we’re still kicking ideas around.

“But it’s going to come together very quickly and very soon we’ll be thrashing it out, globetrotting and having a great time.”

5 Likes

Does the story revolve around the olympics, or similar event?

Does it revolve around the royal family?

Or, is the reference pertaining in some way to another part of the very dense, ambitious show/narrative that boyle orchestrated in the arena that night?

If he’s noticed then i bet Boyle’s hating all this hype around his ‘idea’, since it will inevitably lead to many “Oh, is that all it is!” reactions.

I think the spectacle of that endeavour and how Boyle pulled that off is meant here.

4 Likes

I’d agree.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s out of the norm for anyone involved behind the scenes of a Bond film to comment about expectations at this stage, other than the two main producers or the director. I find it refreshing coming from one of the craftsmen, versus the usual Eon spin masters. Plus, coming from Chris Corbould makes one think there might be something big like a giant facility or perhaps an existing landmark that will require miniature work.

This has started to make the rounds on Facebook and Twitter… I’m not sure where the source is, so take with some salt, but if true, we know they’re looking for a Russian male lead, a Russian female lead and a Maori (presumeably) henchman. :smiley::thinking:

Duly taken with the appropriate quantity of salt. However it looks plausible so let the rampant speculation begin!

What I find most interesting is that that they’re looking for Russians of similar age for the male and female lead, husband and wife maybe? Or brother and sister. The male certainly sounds like the main villain (Cold and Vindictive) but the female doesn’t seem so villainous (brave, fierce and charming) so is more likely the love interest. Could make for an interesting dynamic.

1 Like

The brother / sister aspect could be very interesting indeed… As for the Maori, I would love to see Laurence Makoare get another chance at being a henchman… LOVED him in Lord of The Rings but was so disappointed with Mr. Kill in Die Another Day…such a waste. But Makoare is about 50, so most likely they’ll go with someone a bit younger.

Yes! The fun starts now my fellow Bond fans! Quite a big news dump, this casting news.
Russians eh?

2 Likes

Casting call reports sound very plausible - and as for directly suggesting Russian characters, rather than generic Eastern Europe, that’s also very interesting.