News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

I won’t be placing any bets on it not involving Bond disobeying orders at some point.

Hey, that’s his thing! Ask ConneryBond!

Rouge or rogue? Anyone doubling for the Russkies automatically becomes a rouge rogue agent. :stuck_out_tongue:

The earlier Bonds also had rogue/double agents. DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT (Ninja training school sequence), OHMSS (unfilmed scenes), LALD, FYEO. But this trope was so less ostentatious in the earlier films.

This whole “Bond goes rogue, who’s the double agent?” seems to me a bad callback to the duplicitous agents in John Gardner’s Bond novels, though nowhere nearly as badly handled.

I still can’t read the Gardner novels. I’ve tried, especially lately, in this long dry spell for Bond. The last one I read was Icebreaker and still am not sure how I got through it.

It’s true that a lot of films involve some kind of rogue agent. I disagree with the FRWL and YOLT examples as both of those were actually outside villains disguised as allies, meaning they weren’t rogues. Who was the rogue in TB?

Didn’t even notice the typo and I had gotten so good spelling it after Rogue One came out.

So Bond, M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner are rogue in SPECTRE but Denby isn’t?

Which is why I added “double”.

re: TB - François Derval / Angelo Palazzi. This one is a quibble. Count me among those who prefer the novel’s simpler ruse/explanation.

I think Blofeld in DAF was rouge

8 Likes

Nice one.

1 Like

To be fair, technically in the last film [spoiler]

He didn’t actually go rogue.

President of Film at Annapurna is out as Megan Ellison’s studio dumps films from its lineup - is Annapurna in trouble and what does it mean for 007?
“Sources say Annapurna is having financial troubles”
“Given the day’s dramatic events, all eyes are now on the next James Bond film, which MGM will be distributing domestically through its joint venture with Annapurna.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jennifer-lopez-stripper-film-unloaded-by-annapurna-1150722?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2018-10-09%2013:47:11_jkonerman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!:woozy_face:

1 Like

Well, that at least answers how MGM chose its partner for its brand new distribution op: finding a company in much the same shape seems to have been the idea there…

7 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

2 Likes

This just in: BOND 25 will not be distributed in the US, only overseas :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

That sound you hear is B.B. screaming in anger, whilst MGW hides the valuables.

What a behind-the-scenes drama this whole enterprise is.

The Annapurna-shakeup cannot have happened within a few days. The writing must have been on the wall (yeah, I know) for weeks if not months. Definitely when the Boyle-situation had arisen.

EON is doing damage control right and left with BOND 25. Totally absurd if one considers that the Bond films are a billion dollar revenue-business - and the studios involved are too incompetent to offer this franchise a stable home.

2 Likes

How much does Bond make the studio vs EON vs MGM? - there are too many parties involved for anyone to really care - why make a film with an IP that has protective owners who want lots of $$ from all the profits when they could come up with their own instead (might be worse, might be better but they’d own it and make all the $).

Between EON and MGM, Bond is kind of in a hard place. The day one of the studios outright buy the 007 franchise warts and all is the day they give it a stable home. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t mind Bond suffering if it reduces the cost to buy out EON when the time comes.

I hope that day never comes. Win have perhaps been over protective in the past but the current course is far more ambitious.

By that I mean critically ambitious which is great for cinephiles. A studio would totally, unmercifully money rise every aspect, from casting to toys. Demographics and boardrooms would reign. Craig would never have been cast and instead we’d have a higher turnover that would include every US friendly flavour of the day: Clooney, Pitt, Hamm is Ian Fleming’s James Bond…

At least with Eon with have a champion for Fleming’s Bond.

Anyhow, I don’t see BB ever selling the family jewels, particularly in light of TRS’ disastrous production. But who knows what will happen with her heir when the time comes!