News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

Dammit, my cover’s blown. I need an extraction now!

They could’ve looked up any number of posts from the past 10 years…

2 Likes

The Guardian is already at it…

They really like to be snarky.

4 Likes

More or less the Grauniad’s preferred attitude towards Bond: while they come up with some Bond-related story once a month - and are happy enough for the clickbait - they usually prefer to deliberately misinterpret the entire series, though with tongue in cheek more often than not.

6 Likes

The Guardian’s become impossible to read, with the articles by journalists-influencers more suited to twitter. Stuart Heritage is a particular knob, who doesn’t do his researched, citing Sony here as the studio behind Bond 25. This article’s more a cry for attention than news.

8 Likes

Yes! I thought basically the same thing when I read it. It sounds like the ramblings of a blogger rather than a professional journalist. I can’t believe he got paid to write that.

1 Like

It may be the melancholic Irish streak in me but , I would really enjoy a Lana Del Ray Bond theme (Gaga would be acceptable also) Del Ray preferable for me, though my favourite Bond theme over the last nearly two decades, is TWINE, so perhaps I should be excluded from this musical discussion.

2 Likes

Mark Gatiss response to a similar article 2 years ago.

Here is a critic who says with low blow

Sherlock’s no brain-box but become double-O.

Says the Baker St boy is no man of action -

whilst ignoring the stories that could have put him in traction.

White line

The Solitary Cyclist sees boxing on show,

The Gloria Scott and The Sign of the Fo’

The Empty House too sees a mention, in time, of Mathews,

who knocked out poor Sherlock’s canine.

White line

As for arts martial, there’s surely a clue

in the misspelled wrestle Doyle called baritsu.

In hurling Moriarty over the torrent

did Sherlock find violence strange and abhorrent?

White line

In shooting down pygmies and Hounds from hell

Did Sherlock on Victorian niceties dwell?

When Gruner’s men got him was Holmes quite compliant

Or did he give good account for The Illustrious Client?

White line

There’s no need to invoke in yarns that still thrill,

Her Majesty’s Secret Servant with licence to kill

From Rathbone through Brett to Cumberbatch dandy

With his fists Mr Holmes has always been handy.

This is a question for @MrKiddWint who seems quite knowledgeable on film criticism, at what point did professional criticism move from themes and symbolism present in a work, to “My uninformed opinion without knowledge or research, by Barry, aged 6”

3 Likes

All of the mainstream media is a joke. They’ve really been exposed in recent times. Activists disguised as reporters, dripping with bias and double standards.

3 Likes

Well, it’s always been like that, no person is with out bias or a specific horse in any race, even if they don’t conscious realise it but certainly in the last twenty years there’s been an attitude change to scowl at research or informed opinion, which you’re SUPPOSED to do to try and negate your own bias’, in favour of just yelling your opinion louder.

Here’s Irish comedian Dara O’Briain talking about it… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8

Oops wrong thread

Not true. The fringe media, however, are by nature biased and do not adhere to journalistic standards.

But in the entertainment section, mainstream media have dropped their standards just to get clicks and compete with the fringe media. That’s why articles like this one pop up again and again.

Thankfully, us experts know the truth :wink:

2 Likes

I’d agree that the MSM have lost their integrity (or perhaps just the visage of integrity) ever since the BBC almost lost the license fee over the Andrew Gilligan affair.

In short the Beeb, via Gilligan went toe to toe with Blair’s government over the suicide/murder of David Kelly surrounding the ‘sexed up dodgy dossier’ claims of Iraq’s Bio weapons and an attack on the UK being possible within 45 minutes.

In the end the Beeb backed down under threat of virtual dismantling, though history has shown that in fact the dossier exaggerated heavily in order to launch a ground offensive in the middle east…

Forgive me if any of that is inaccurate - it’s from memory and i work for the Guardian :crazy_face: (not really, btw)

It seemed from that point on, after a Beeb shuffle, it’s objectivity was surrendered and it became a propaganda mouth piece for whomever was in government. The way now to glean a notion of the truth is to simultaneously watch the polarised BS on the BBC and Russia Today and try to discern a middle ground.

If you ask me, though Elliot Carver now runs them both and conflict is great business.

No, he owns The Daily Mail and Fox News…

The funny/scary thing is: TND´s villain´s scheme seemed ridiculously overcooked to me back then, a typically delicious Bondian exaggeration.

Now, it seems to be realistic.

7 Likes

I was just thinking along the same lines. TND was about 20 years too early. It would resonate much more today and the villain’s motives would seem far less over the top than they may have seemed in 1997. Forget selling papers and cable rights - having Carver extol the value of all the clicks and online ad revenue his stories were generating would make anybody understand his motives.

Indeed. It’s partly why I rate TND quite highly in the franchise overall, and therefore the best Brosnan era outing. It has aged even better than expected with the passage of time.

2 Likes

So… which Bond villain´s plan will seem not farfetched anymore next?

Maybe even “Moonraker” will some day soon not be called a silly extravaganza anymore…

1 Like

Orange, overweight, Millionaire works with a communist government to destabilise the US just to increase his own wealth…

…that was Goldfinger btw…no commentary here…

9 Likes