News on NO TIME TO DIE (no spoilers)

As one of the (extremely small) minority of people that actually thinks that Die Hard 2 is the best of the series (I know, there’s like 3 of us, and that’s on a good day) - there is a scene in the airport where McLane calls his wife from a payphone that is an AT & T phone, a blatant bit of product placement. So to be fair, whoever said AT&T commercial was playing it loose with, but no completely falsifying, the facts…!!!

6 Likes

Nice story!

Love me some Die Hard 2. Sure it ain’t got the panache’n bash of action master McTiernan’s two entries, but it’s still a lot of fun that i find hard to switch off when channel surfing.

And it’s a masterclass compared to the last two dog-awful Die Hards. Hoping the forthcoming ‘Die Hard Begins’ will bring back the quality. But with Wiseman directing again i doubt it.

1 Like

Odd Jobbies - I stand corrected. On a good day, there’s 4 of us…!

1 Like

Die Hard, to me, is hands down one of the greatest movies ever with one of the greatest action movie villains ever. I rank 2 and 3 on par with each other as good, but not as memorable as 1. Vengeance dared to be different (shocker right?), whilst 2 is pretty much more of the same, which is fine. I think I’m in the minority of people who actually liked Live Free or Die Hard (I believe it was called Die Hard 4.0 everywhere else). I thought Live Free never tried to be anything but a fun summer blockbuster with a great cast. That said, A Good Day to Die Hard can go **** itself. Last I heard, Die Hard 6 was delayed indefinitely and, as a result of the Disney/Fox merger, may never actually get made.

3 Likes

Sorry to let you down, but for me McTiernan’s (1 & 3) are better. In fact the first movie is among the very best action movies of all time, along with Lethal Weapon 1 (though Lethal Weapon 2 is just a good, maybe better). There’s also Predator 1 (also McTiernan), the first Matrix and Mad Max 3, but they’re a different genre; sci-fi/high concept that incorporates action that’s just as good as any straight up action movie.

Amen to that, brother!

1 Like

Not to hijack a thread (ta-dum) - you are right. The original is the best, but I just “like” 2 more in that it knows what it is and plays right off it.

I do have a soft spot for Predator 2, but nothing holds a candle to the orginal. Lethal - I hate all the sequels, but the first is one of the greats, with the right amount of pathos that comes organically from the story. 2 tries that - and fails miserably.

2 Likes

Mad Max 3? The Tina Turner one?

1 Like

OOPS! :crazy_face:

No, definately Fury Road! Fury Road, definately!

I got 2 words for you, “Dip-lo-matic Ee-muuune-itty”.

Best villains ever, bar Raider’s nazis. And that ending, with Rigg maybe dying in Murtaugh’s arms (though they have a laugh, which diffuses it) is the kind of FRWL / YOLT (novel) cliffhanger ending i’d love to see Bond risk… There, bringing it back to topic, ta-da :innocent:

2 Likes

Hey, I gotta admit, Thunderdome is a guilty pleasure. Also, we’ve gotten quite off topic.

1 Like

Great theme from The Turner!

Nice to see all the DH love around here. My apologies for my tale of “production mis-direction” taking us off topic. Then again, as we countdown to Bond 25 rolling, it’s not like there’s much to spin on about beyond more speculation.

DH gave us a twist on the action genre by utilizing a large set single location creating an isolated situation with a lone hero but it also had a bit of Bond polish and certainly a Bond stylized villain. Also, some of the best and still quoted lines ever.

Another bit of trivia is that they were patterned after the great Irwin Allen disaster movies. DH was the Towering Inferno (with guns). DH2 was Airport (with guns). DH3 was supposed to be the Poseidon Adventure (with guns), but was abandoned after Under Siege came out even though it was set on a battleship.

3 Likes

I thought I saw the cruise ship script for Die Hard 3 being rejected because Bruce Willis didn’t want to do a second sequel that was just another rehashed Die Hard 1, which the cruise ship script was. Instead they went with a spec script called “Simon Says” that was then retooled into Die Hard with a Vengeance. The cruise ship script was then retooled into Speed 2, which was a rehash of Speed, itself another Die Hard clone.

3 Likes

Remember David Walliams on the red carpet, at the Spectre premiere in London?

“We all know that Blofeld is in the movie”

…and Babs give him the evil eye!

6 Likes

Thank God, I thought I was the only one! :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice read my friend Bryce :wink:

1 Like

Marcin

9h

As one of the (extremely small) minority of people that actually thinks that Die Hard 2 is the best of the series (I know, there’s like 3 of us, and that’s on a good day)

Thank God, I thought I was the only one! :slightly_smiling_face:

Make that 5.

2 Likes

Die Hard 2 was actually on Epix Drive In last night and I watched the second half. I love it. It may be a sideways rehash of the first, but it has always worked for me. I personally prefer it to the third by a wide margin as I feel the third becomes too outlandish at times and I always really disliked the fact that he and his wife have split up after all they’d been through in the first 2 movies. It felt kind of like killing Newt off at the beginning of Alien 3.

I think an argument can be made for it being Renny Harlin’s best movie. I think it passes the sequel test of being good enough that it stands on its own and would have been deserving of a sequel had it not been a sequel itself.

1 Like

I feel the same way. While I liked the differences the third part established (wide open space, Summer setting) I always felt that McClane should remain a loner. And the pairing with Jackson seemed to be a too obvious nod to “Pulp Fiction” (“look, we’re a big studio film, yet so hip that we bring these guys back together”).

However, I think the action sequences in Part 2 are already outlandish (the ejector seat-sequence, for example). And to destroy a plane full of people just to illustrate a bad guy´s nonchalance left a very bad aftertaste for me.

The first one will always be the best IMO since it focussed on one guy in a desperate situation, suffering, full of fear and succeeding only with chuzpe and good luck.

4 Likes

His best movies is a very short list. However, he did do a very good job of DH2. But i’d say it’s his 2nd best movie.

For me The Long Kiss Goodnight is not only his best movie by quite some stretch, but has a place in the all time top tier of action movies. In the main it’s down to Shane Black’s sharp script and pacing, but Renny guides it with a sure hand and some aplomb.

Btw, fans of that movie should check out Black’s other under the radar 80’s action classic The Last Boy Scout.

2 Likes