NTTD – The Nitpickery

The tailored suits thing came from Terence Young as I recall.

1 Like

Cheapest way to create a style on a low budget.

1 Like

Maybe he sold the left hand drive DB5?

That would have kept him in suits for a while;

He always seems to win in the roulette table, so maybe he made his money that way?

Maybe MI6 gives him a clothing allowance?

1 Like

From Moonraker:

Bond smiled to himself. What was he being so dramatic about? What had this man done to him? Made him a present of £15,000. Bond shrugged. It was none of his business anyway. But that last remark of his, ‘Spend it quickly, Commander Bond.’ What had he meant by that? It must be those words, Bond reflected, that had stayed in the back of his mind and made him ponder so carefully over the problem of Drax.

Bond turned brusquely away from the window. To hell with it, he thought. I’m getting obsessed myself. Now then. Fifteen thousand pounds. A miraculous windfall. All right then, he would spend it quickly. He sat down at his desk and picked up a pencil. He thought for a moment and then wrote carefully on a memorandum pad headed ‘Top Secret’:

(1) Rolls-Bentley Convertible, say £5000.

(2) Three diamond clips at £250 each, £750.

He paused. That still left nearly £10,000. Some clothes, paint the flat, a set of the new Henry Cotton irons, a few dozen of the Taittinger champagne. But those could wait. He would go that afternoon and buy the clips and talk to Bentleys. Put all the rest into gold shares. Make a fortune. Retire.

3 Likes

Bond hustles bridge. Especially vulnerable/eager to play with him are middle-aged women with active fantasy lives and inactive spouses. Moneypenny sometimes helps set up games (getting a cut when she does), and even served as Bond’s partner one memorable weekend in Devon.

3 Likes

My nitpick in NTTD is,why didn’t they just target the cargo ships instead? The urgency was not letting Heracles off the island. They could have crippled the ships, buying time for Bond to get away. But then of course that wouldn’t have destroyed the evidence of M’s little project. So you could say Bond died saving his boss’s job. Back to work, indeed.

7 Likes

That was the whole point of the entire film. If M hadn’t done something that surely, at the very least, borders on a war crime, then none of what happens in the film ends up happening.

4 Likes

It definitely is the biggest misfire any M has ever caused.

But Bond is, again, multitasking here. And saving the world includes deleting M‘s colossal mistake but combines it with the for Bond much more important guarantee that his wife and his daughter will survive.

If there had not been that aspect I could imagine Bond bringing M to justice.

Then again, CraigBond already saved Mother M‘s legacy despite her fateful mistake losing the list (and having dreadful cyber security).

3 Likes

Indeed. It was M’s mess, and the missiles were fired by Bond’s own country. But Bond was adamant that they be fired. That’s a crucial point the MI6 team, particularly Q, should remember. In the final moments who caused what doesn’t matter - it’s about getting the job that’s in front of you done.

2 Likes

Safin was still there… thinking getting rid of the ships fixing the problem is the same as thinking turning away two customers is going to make your entire business go under…

1 Like

Weapons design isn’t a war crime. It is genuinely Britain’s biggest export. Only the US makes more money in the field…

2 Likes

A reminder that Bond has never operated in the world of true realism, even in his more grounded incarnations. There’s always a veneer of escapism and suspension of disbelief, allowing Bond to get away with behaviour that simply wouldn’t be tolerated anywhere else. He’s an individual who requires structure but also rebels against it.

1 Like

At least in AVTAK, M mentions his escaped in Paris cost them six million francs!

1 Like

Biological warfare is. A strong case can be made that Heracles is a bio-weapon.

2 Likes

Technically, it’s a nano-weapon, which why not? Makes about as much sense to have it be nanobots as making the aliens in Indy 4 ‘interdimensional beings’, for, I guess, reasons?

Its coded to target individual persons’ DNA, which I think makes it, at least in part, a biological weapon.

1 Like

As it’s the nitpicking thread - designing and building bio weapons isn’t the war crime, using them is. M hadn’t used them, so no war crime committed.

3 Likes

Reasons in Indy 4: set in the 50‘s, the high time of extra terrestrials in pulp fiction.

Reasons in NTTD: nanobots already a reality.

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t have a problem with the aliens. It makes sense for a 50s set/pseudo sci-fi adventure. My point was that instead of just saying aliens, they call them “interdimensional beings” for literally no reason. It’s the same in No Time To Die. Is there any difference to Heracles being a regular bio-weapon as opposed to nanobots? Or was the nanobot angle created as a result of the pandemic?