Postmodern Jukebox's Bond theme style covers

If you haven’t heard of Postmodern Jukebox, they are a group that takes modern songs and rearranged them so that they might fit in retro eras, ranging from the 1920’s to the 1970’s. They just released a Bond theme style cover of Taylor Swift’s new song, Look What You Made Me Do. I don’t really care for the original version of the song, but I quite like PMJ’s cover.

The previously did a Bond theme style cover of Ariana Grande’s song Love Me Harder as well:

No bad but I struggle with the ‘Bond style’, it’s laid beneath but the retro versions would perhaps work better without it. Nice find, thank you!

This one may be more to your liking, Dustin. It’s labeled as a Bond style, but without the underlying Bond theme, just the ambiance.

1 Like

Rather nice twist here. Not bad at all, but yes, a bit overdone with the underlying Bond rift. Still though, fun stuff.

Yeah, I like them a lot. I’ve seen them in concert three times now. Scott Bradlee, the pianist and arranger is super talented and often has a set during the concert where the audience shouts out three of four songs or bands and then he intertwines them in a ragtime style on the piano. I’m hoping that given the rapid popularity of the Taylor Swift song, they’ll be playing the Bond version at their concerts. The Ariana Grande song wasn’t that popular so PMJ never did it during concerts, which always disappointed me.

I forgot to add one of the most important Bond connections: one of their singers is one Ariana Savalas. daughter of Telly Savalas. I got to meet her after one concert and she was a riot. I asked if I could get a picture with her and she replied, “Honey, wearing that, you can get whatever you want.” (I was wearing my white dinner jacket). I also told her that her father was my favorite Bond villain, and she was genuinely surprised and happy that people still think of him.

Quite the adventure! Indeed, I think Savalas is still one of the more popular villains with fans.

Clearly Scott Bradlee is a bit of a Bond fan. Hopefully he releases a full version of this.

Lovely stuff.

I saw them live on Sunday night, and while they did not play any of their Bond-inspired songs, when one of the singers, Dani Armstrong, sang Chandelier by Sia, there was a piano line that was distinctly reminiscent of Diamonds Are Forever. Sadly, I cannot find a good video of it.

And of course it’s right after I say I can’t find a video that one pops up. This was from a performance a few nights before, not from the one I saw: