Reboot? Remake? Retro? Which direction should the series take next?

Another Bond forum?!?

5 Likes

Size does not matter.

6 Likes

I think I heard rumors about this years ago… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

One last thing that I say get rid of: conning the audience with surprise character reveals. It only worked to a degree for Moneypenny. Even a blind person could see that Christoph Waltz was going to be Blofeld. Once again, give it a rest, EON.

3 Likes

Sean Connery Fall GIF by James Bond 007

10 Likes

It was only obvious because of what they called the film. If they’d called it anything else it wouldn’t have been guessed as that group being Spectre isn’t even brought up until quite some time into the film. It was the equivalent of calling Psycho Norman Bates: the tale of a psychopath

5 Likes

It would have been a better reveal if it had been that Franz Oberhauser was actually…Franz Oberhauser.

What made the reveal even worse than the fact that anyone could see it coming from several hundred miles away is that it’s taken directly from a Bond spoof. And a bad one at that. EON needs to create a new position within the organization, whose sole responsibility is to ask the writers each day “The main plot isn’t a rip off of Austin Powers, is it?”

4 Likes

Agreed. But in the novels there is a larger context and a larger perspective, as Fleming’s own disillusionment with and analysis of British culture/society get mixed in. Bond may be the protagonist, but he is also a symptom.

Most (if not all) of this is lost in the movies, which are not (in general0 geared toward social critique (except maybe DAF because of the cynicism of its director, the outlook of its writer, and the moment of its making). As a result, viewers are left with an angsty spy who can seem petulant, and prone to mid-life crises. The films are more psychological, and less sociological than the fiction.

4 Likes

It’s like CR’67 and NSNA, we know it exists, but it doesn’t really count.

3 Likes

Those monsters!!!

Are we being petty?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Not quite. You may say this about NSNA, but not about CR67 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Because…?
Don’t say you liked the Shakespearean performance of Jean-Paul Belmondo (was it 5 or 10 seconds he’s in in the movie?). :smile:

1 Like

Like it! It was majestical. Though the seal I think steals the movie.

2 Likes

Opposite David Niven? Really?!?

1 Like

Him yes! Fantastic :joy:

I just wonder if Charmian Bond or May could become regulars. Reason being that Bond as a film series seems to be becoming more of a ensemble cast.

Please, no!

At the rate they’re going in terms of making Bond an ensemble piece, they’ll eventually work Bond out of the proceedings completely in order to put the spotlight on the more underserved characters like Felix, M, or Moneypenny. After all, we already have the sentiment out there among a good portion of the fanbase that it takes more than just Bond to make a Bond film a “Bond” film. The natural conclusion to that concept is a “Bond” film without Bond himself.

1 Like
4 Likes