Shocking Bond Confessions

Nobody Does It Better is one of the worst songs in the series…and Carly Simon can’t sing.

Die Another Day is actually one of the best songs in the series.

And on a personal note, I am SO glad this topic exists. Thank you!

Now, that really was shocking.

2 Likes

Back in 2002, I kept on hearing this new song being over played on the radio at work,that had sounded like some techno pop electro rubbish,complete with chopped up , stuttering lyrics ( stuttering Is a word I don’t use lightly,being a former/recovering stutterer/stammerer myself) .

Saturday came and I was out shopping in the supermarket. On the way to the checkout, I passed through the media section ( I was in Asda here in the UK,our version of Walmart) and thought " I wonder if the new bond theme single is out yet?" Low and behold,there it was,by Madonna!" I bought it, put it straight into the stereo in my car, drove out of the car park ,pressed PLAY…

As soon as I heard the first opening bars,I thought “hang on! I know this!.. WHAT??? This is the new bond song? WTF???”

I think watching it with the opening titles,it fits perfectly,but as a stand alone bond song,it is very unbond like!

2 Likes

JC, god luv ya! Shocking confessions indeed!

It’s interesting, I’ve been a long-time defender of TWINE, though I confess to have been battered down somewhat by some long-time members (Jim, here’s looking you!). Interestingly for me, TND has improved and yet (in a reverse of TWINE), my '1997 reaction was in-line with yours. I remember being thoroughly underwhelmed after the high of the GE series return, walking out of the cinema with a “was that it?” sensation, and then wondering what time the next showing of Titanic was…(yes, I loved it first time - how about that for a shocking confession…)

3 Likes

But TND has the best Bond song since Moonraker…unfortunately they had placed it at the end of the film :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I hear you, my friend. I watched both TWINE and TND recently and kept thinking during the former wow, Broz had a lot more to give. And during the latter kept thinking wow, this just isn’t good. But I must confess and I think most of us may be this way, I liked every Bond movie ever the first time I saw it.

2 Likes

Haha, I’m glad you added that last bit. I’ll have to go back and listen to the song at the end. I confess I don’t remember it. I was about to have to vigorously disagree about Sheril Crow. Now that was an unfortunate tune.

I have always been a fan of TWINE because it does have its moments. I still believe that the PTS is the best of the lot. I think that boat chase would have made for a fantastic ending rather than start, with perhaps Renard driving the other boat.

3 Likes

It’s the wonderful “Surrender” by kd lang (and David Arnold) and musical cues from it feature in the film itself.

3 Likes

Ahh right. Surrender. I remember now. Have to go back and check it out again.

2 Likes

Yeah, it really works with those opening titles. Also works well on a playlist when you’re on the treadmill, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Another annoying,un-bond like bit is she laughs in the song too

Lol, yeeeah I have to agree. You’re not allowed to laugh in your Bond song. Point taken.

But then again, you’re not allowed to sound like Sam Smith in a Bond song either so…

4 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve had this song stuck in my head since you posted it! Honestly, it’s a fantastic theme!

1 Like

I like TMWTGG better than Spy Who Loved Me.

Caroline Munro should have had more screen time :wink:

4 Likes

Nothing shocking about that comment!

1 Like

I think Sean Connery would have done more Bond if Broccoli and Saltzman gave him more creative control. I also think that if they both would have left the series, Connery would have returned if asked. Look at Never Say Never Again or the From Russia With Love video game. EON gave Daniel Craig too much creative control, with a mixed bag. He chose Marc Forster and Sam Mendes as directors, for starters. Pierce Brosnan in particular didn’t get enough creative say. That’s one of the biggest missed opportunities for EON. For the next Bond EON, don’t bow down too everything that they want (RM, DC), but give them a decent say in direction (SC, PB).

Wrong. EON chooses directors. Craig proposed Mendes, and EON said: great.

3 Likes

The Opera sequence and bravery of not having a love interest, justifies the choice of Forster

6 Likes