Shocking Bond Confessions

Shockingly I’m really looking forward to seeing CR67 on the big screen next weekend.

6 Likes

3 Likes

“Stop touching your ear” is a better line than “if we don’t do this now there will be nothing left to save.”

5 Likes

The same could be said about most of the lines from Skyfall onwards

I have purchased a James bond door mat and union jack rug and waste paper basket

1 Like

I wouldn’t particularly mind if NTTD turned out to be the last James Bond film…:see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Let’s end it there once and for all…

1 Like

4 Likes

Here’s my shocking Bond confession, but you have to promise not to tell anybody…

I’m beginning to appreciate Moonraker after decades of hating it.

That felt good…

9 Likes

I think I would actually be fine with Bond ending at some point, potentially even very soon.

Had they produced a better film than NTTD that featured Bond dying, I think I’d even be where you are with this, open to the cinematic franchise having ended with Bond’s death. But, I would have to a admit that I think I’d be rather upset if they ended it with NTTD. If Bond is going to die and go away permanently, it has to be done better than that. It has to be done in a far superior story than that of NTTD and at the hands of a much better villain than we got in that film as well, rather than the bargain-bin mashup of Shatterhand and Dr. No that Safin ultimately turned out to be.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Question is,do I go for the union jack bulldog ornament too? I’ve bought the cushion cover!

I really would appreciate some suggestions please

4 Likes

3 Likes

I appreciate the sentiment though I am a fan of NTTD and Spectre as companion pieces.

4 Likes

I’m certainly not in the “they could never top NTTD” camp (if there is one), but at this point, any ending is a good ending for me.

1 Like

I’ve still not read all of FOREVER AND A DAY

At this point I desperately need new beginnings.

2 Likes

I don’t know, there’s so many franchises out there that just go on and on; isn’t it time for one with the nerve to actually end? Even if they bring on a new Bond with a fresh coat of paint, the next entry will still be a continuation more than a genesis.

Looking back on Avengers: Endgame I realize what I liked about so much about it wasn’t the effects, the battles, the epic spectacle or the sheer volume of characters; it was the feeling that so many threads were being tied off and all those lead-in films had finally resulted in an actual finale. It wasn’t perfect, but it didn’t have to be; it was an ending and that was enough. And then they came back with more Marvel content, only now – and I don’t think I’m alone – it’s hard to work up much enthusiasm. We got an ending; do I have the patience to wait 20 films for another one?

The Brosnan era convinced me the old Bond formula had been milked dry. The Craig era largely tossed the old formula for something a bit different, but then decided mid-stream that it was an interconnected “saga” that took 15 years to complete, and now I’m grateful to have that finally over, as well.

My “shocking confession” I guess is that I’m glad we’re years out from another Bond film because I need that time to work up my interest again. And if the approach will be to launch another 4- or 5-film “story arc” (even if it is with an actual game plan this time) I can’t guarantee I’ll care even then.

3 Likes

I see what you mean.

But for me, Bond films have been accompanying me since an early age.

One can probably compare them with a favourite band which is still touring. Sure, they can’t be as surprising or fresh as they were. Sometimes they even feel tired and going through the motions. But they still entertain me. And I would miss them if they were stopping.

Exchanging the lead singer every few years also is a nifty trick.

What I don’t need is another arc for Bond. Marvel, as you say. has done that, and to keep that wheel spinning again has become tiresome for me as well.

A continuing story, yeah, why not. But to build towards a finale which is not coming for many films (which all have to be watched in order to be understood) is less entertaining, more like work.

The future for Bond should be stand-alones. Makes exchanging lead actors easier, too.

4 Likes