Sir Sean Connery (1930-2020)

Great words from Daniel.

3 Likes

The end of an era.

3 Likes

What a sad loss. Farewell, Sir Sean.

You may already have read one or the other obituary, but still don’t miss out on CBn’s own:

7 Likes

RIP Sean. Your contribution to all our lives is incalculable.
image image image image

image image

6 Likes

He certainly lived more than twice! Farewell to the original

2 Likes
3 Likes

An impossible role model.
But we tried, didn’t we?

4 Likes
2 Likes

A wealth of tributes here:

3 Likes

Such sad news. Literally was the first thing I saw this morning when I woke up and checked my phone seeing that I had a message which announced the news.

Sean Connery was not my favorite James Bond (though I did love him as 007) but he was my favorite actor. He was great in just about everything he did and one couldn’t take their eyes off of him. Whether it was as 007 or Indiana Jones’ father or King Richard the Lionhearted, he commanded the screen. It didn’t matter if was THE starring role or as ONE of the stars or as a supporting player, he was THE guy you couldn’t take your eyes off of.

In addition to James Bond’s exploits, he thrilled me and many of us in countless films–Darby O’Gill And The Little People, Marnie, Shalako, Murder On The Orient Express, The Man Who Would Be King, Robin And Marian, A Bridge Too Far, The Great Train Robbery, Outland, Highlander, The Name Of The Rose, The Untouchables, The Presidio, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, The Hunt For Red October, The Russia House, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, Medicine Man, Rising Sun, First Knight, DragonHeart, The Rock, Entrapment, Finding Forrester, and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. (I have not seen Woman Of Straw, The Hill, The Offense, or The Wind And The Lion.) Such a huge amount of entertaining films. There aren’t many actors who can claim to have such a large quantity. It just speaks to his star power and consistency and his confidence and knowledge in and of himself.

Unquestionably, Sean Connery had IT. Well into his 60s, he still looked great and physically imposing–someone who could still believably handle himself in a fight and not one to be messed with and yet still make the ladies swoon. At age 59, People Magazine awarded him the mantle of Sexiest Man Alive. To this day, he’s still the oldest man to be so named.

Sean Connery was the epitome of cool. The way he looked, moved, talked, or acted. He oozed sex appeal and masculinity. He was the original Bond and the machismo Bond. He was the personification of how people best described James Bond: The kind of man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with.

Sean Connery was cool, iconic, and legendary. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe him. He left a huge imprint not just on 007’s world and us Bond fans, but the cinematic world, and the world at large. There will never be another one like him.

R.I.P. Sir Sean. Thanks for the many and wonderful memories. You truly were an original and you will be greatly missed. You are, were, and will forever be James Bond 007 – the man with the license to thrill.

9 Likes

Enjoying some Siamese vodka right now in honor of Sir Sean.

2 Likes

I was thinking to myself just last night how long he would live and wondered how his health was. Just sucks.

4 Likes

I used to work for DC Thomson, the Scottish publishers. One of the hand letterers - the guys who added BIFFs and BANGs and titles to comic pages had been at school with Sean Connery back in the 30s and 40s. It was when I started in 1985 that I got to know the letterer. He was enormously proud of Big Tam as he called Connery, but not only of his achievements. He was proud that Connery stayed in touch with the people he’d been to school with, and still wrote Christmas cards and little notes asking how people were. For all that incredible success, he never forgot the people he’d grown up with in tough times in Edinburgh. I always liked hearing that.

8 Likes

Hopefully they add ‘In loving memory of Sir Sean Connery and Sir Roger Moore’ at the end credits. They certainly have the time to do so. I feel that NTTD has become an even bigger event than just Craig’s swan song now, but a celebration of the character itself.

8 Likes

I’m shaken AND stirred by this very sad news. The man was an absolute legend and, very probably, the greatest screen icon to come out of the UK. It’s easy to see why he was cast in “Dr No” (my first Bond film) and it’s no surprise that he is, and shall always be, the go-to version of James Bond for most of the world’s population.

RIP

7 Likes

One of Sean’s greatest assets was making everything he did look effortless through confidence and charisma, and he stated that was his aim. He succeeded big time. That’s how he fostered that strong connection with the audience that will last forever. For me, Connery embodies the fantasy of being an alpha male better than any of the Bonds.

5 Likes

Devestated. Beyond Bond, Connery informed so much of what my idea of what a hero should be. Together, funny, knowledgeable and above all comfortable in his skin. That he will be remembered alongside perhaps only Grant and Bogart as THE icons gives me pleasure.
He was real there was a full life before stardom and that life informed all his performances.
Slan go Foill Big Tam.

3 Likes

I didn’t get this sad news before two o’clock last night. I know it was inevitable, but still I wasn’t prepared for it at all. Before I went to sleep, I read a lot about the man, watched a lot of movie clips.

I will not repeat everything already is sad about this great actor and human being, but only this:

Thank you, Sean, for everything. R.I.P.

4 Likes

I’ve always known this but it still boggles the mind, and puts everything into perspective:

‘He was almost killed filming the helicopter chase scene in From Russia with Love when the inexperienced helicopter pilot flew in too close and almost decapitated him.’

4 Likes

I know it’s meaningless, but I’ve committed myself to only using Connery quotes for the next week in the James Bond quote conversation game. I might also watch Goldfinger tonight.

7 Likes