Sir Sean Connery (1930-2020)

The saddest yet inevitable news being reported by the BBC:

A man who influenced all our lives here. I’m very sad.

6 Likes

A very sad day for Bond fans…

R.I.P.

3 Likes

I knew it was eventual, but I was not prepared for what I currently feel. Rest, good sir, and thank you.

5 Likes

The words ‘legend’ and ‘iconic’ are some of the most overused nowadays, but they are the only appropriate ones to describe Sir Sean. Irreplaceable.

3 Likes

Grief. This really has been A Year.

Thank you for all. RIP.

1 Like

Roger was my first Bond and opened the door to this world, but it was Sean who I immediately tried to emulate. I still remember seeing his introduction for the first time and feeling utterly floored by the sheer coolness of it all. I constantly practiced my eyebrow raising in the mirror and tried to mimic how he walked (shoulders relaxed, back straight, one hand in the pocket) in the hopes that it would one day become second nature, enabling me to channel his effortless charisma in my day to day life. Countless Saturday mornings were spent watching and rewatching Dr. No, Thunderball and From Russia with Love. The man and his work has had a titanic impact on my life, and for that I’m grateful. RIP Sir Sean. Thank you for everything.

4 Likes

Sadly enough I was thinking the same thing when he turned 90 back in August.

Devastating news as a Bond fan. Was going to spend the day watching horror films with the family too, but it’s Connery fest now.

RIP Mr. Connery

Nobody Did It Better

3 Likes

The first moment I understood the impact an epic film could have on my life was when (at 11 years old) I sat in the theatre in 1965 and saw Thunderball. The whole spectacle was mind-blowing, and something I wouldn’t experience again until 1977 with Star Wars (and I must admit again with Raiders of the Lost Ark). Connery was my first movie idol. RIP.

4 Likes

It was inevitable but I still feel more devastated than I expected.

RIP Sir Sean Connery.

And thank you!

If it’s not inappropriate, I feel this tribute sums up the joyful legend he was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB7f_kZQ9hY

3 Likes

Hard to believe but it was inevitable: Sir Sean Connery has passed at 90. Even legends are mortal:

3 Likes

Inevitable perhaps but I’m still in shock. A remarkable actor and this is a seismic loss for Bond fans everywhere.

3 Likes

Maybe NTTD will close with double honours?

That said, they way the postponements are rolling through…

5 Likes

Odd how one feels a sense of such great loss.

We all of us here gained.

RIP.

9 Likes

Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli:

“We are devastated by the news of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. He was and shall always be remembered as the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words - “The name’s Bond… James Bond” - he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him.”

8 Likes

Wow. Huge loss.

I had been researching Sean’s life very recently, watching old interviews, bits and pieces from his Bond films and Never Say Never Again. I’ve never seen or met the man, and never would have, but given how much he’s spoken about it’s almost like I did know him, and it’s so strange to know he’s no longer with us physically. But I’ll be watching him for the rest of my life.

James Bond: the cinematic brand Sean and Roger built.

5 Likes

2020, the year that just keeps on taking. Connery was a legend and the original. It was going to happen sooner or later, but no less tragic. Not to mention, my all-time favorite SNL skits wouldn’t be the same without Darrell Hammond doing his impeccably over-the-top Connery. RIP, Mr. Bond, Henry Jones Sr., and everything in between.

4 Likes

Just such a legendary man, and a true icon. For me he’ll always be the standard for all the Bonds that follow. Comforting to know he passed away peacefully in his sleep at home in the Bahamas. Makes me tear up knowing his death was announced in conjunction with his family and EON Productions, the company which started this ride with Sean as the leading man all those years ago. God speed, Sean.

7 Likes

Appropriately (for me), The New York Times used a DAF photo for its obituary.

4 Likes

Statement from Daniel Craig:

“It is with such sadness that I heard of the passing of one of the true greats of cinema. Sir Sean Connery will be remembered as Bond and so much more. He defined an era and a style. The wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in mega watts; he helped create the modern blockbuster. He will continue to influence actors and film-makers alike for years to come.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Wherever he is, I hope there is a golf course.”

15 Likes

What a tremendous movie icon. A Legend, terrific body of work he leaves to fans all Over the World. Great legacy.

RIP

2 Likes