The Boy and the Bridge (1959)

Reading about this film in The Battle For Bond’; aside from his production and second unit work, it seems to be Kevin McClory’s most notable creative endeavour outside of his contributions to Thunderball and various attempts (one realised) to remake Thunderball thereafter:

Seems that it had some festival hype early on but then disappeared fairly quietly, and as far as I can tell was never released on VHS or DVD but is now available to rent (at least in the UK) from the BFI website. Has anyone ever seen it?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of it, it sounds like the sort of movie you would catch on THE TALKING PICTURES channel here in the British isles

1 Like

SafariSuit, long time no see… :cocktail:

Read about it in Lycett’s Fleming bio. Apparently, the critics loved it and it was even expected to win one or the other award. Thing was that the audience didn’t, especially in America. As a result of this, the McClory name attached to the TB script in the making didn’t exactly help to sell the movie rights in Hollywood, which lead to the project getting stopped. Fleming didn’t want the material to go wasted and recycled it in the TB novel, which lead to… you know the rest.

3 Likes

Long time no see too stromberg :slight_smile:

Battle for Bond suggests that Fleming himself and the festival circuit received the film well, but even the first round of reviews from UK critics were a little tepid, and that it went downhill from there. McClory reportedly didn’t even pay much attention to its Box Office, which gave his business partners significant pause about his general financial acumen.

This is a wonderful film with a wonderful central performance by nine years old Ian MacLaine and an equally wonderful score by Malcolm Arnold. For some reason, perhaps through copyright problems, it has never been made available for VHS or DVD release or television showings in the UK. It should be released because it’s an utterly charming film. I am fortunate indeed to have an original British Front of House set of eight stills for it. Physical material for it, such as posters and stills, is impossible to find now on eBay or other sources and it must be one of the rarest still sets in my vast collection.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts, nice to hear from someone who has actually seen it.

As far as I know, it can still be viewed online on BFIplayer for a charge of £2:50. Although I don’t know if this is actually viewable outside the UK.

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

This is an excellent film with a good story line and fine scenes of 1950’s London.
I watched this as a young child on television. In a similar way to “The Red Balloon” it left a lasting impression.
It is available to watch on a pay to watch basis (£2.50) on the BFI site.