The Rhythm Section (EON Productions)

Reed Morano: Production break on ‘The Rhythm Section’ was a ‘blessing in disguise’ for Blake Lively thriller

4 Likes

Good news! Now to wait for the trailer.

A February 2019 release - splendid!

February seems to be the new EON month. They will either have to do press for it before Christmas or in early January. Expect lots of questions about BOND 25.

2 Likes

Delay until later this year? See last paragraph:

Seems very likely since there has been no promotion, no trailer so far.

If they are confident it will become a summer release.

Otherwise, expect it to be dropped in late August and September.

1 Like

The film will open on 22nd November, 2019.

1 Like

That is encouraging. I was expecting an August/September dumping. Thanksgiving is a prestige release date. So maybe the film turned out promising after all.

EON wouldn´t have had time to promote this now for a February release anyway.

An Eon productions made spy film, a spy film featuring Ralph Fiennes and a thriller starring Daniel Craig.

I mean the fact that’s 3 different films is another matter, I just know I’ve gone from one film to see in November to three.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Moving it away from that competition is smart. We shall see if that worked for or against them.

January is not a dumping ground anymore.

Still, it is not a sign of confidence. I predict a middling opening at best, with maybe some good ancillary revenue. But it won’t start a new franchise.

1 Like

Hard to tell, Kingsman: The Secret Service had similar delays eventually ending up at late January/early February, and that didn’t do badly.

If it’s a bit crap, then releasing it before NTTD may give the interweb etc an opportunity to suggest Eon have lost the plot and NTTD will be equally pants.

Of course in reality the quality of TRS suggests nothing about that of NTTD, but all the same it’s a scenario best avoided – if TRS is pants.

The Rhythm Section’s new date is Super Bowl weekend. If you wanted to maximize ticket sales you would have kept it in the date it had.

This feels like a move they had to make, not wanted to make…

1 Like

Not being an American, I don’t know the tradition, but why is it Super Bowl weekend when it’s on one evening?

Just release this thing and get it over with. Given all of the trouble they’ve had with this film, and the shifting release dates, nobody can really expect much from it at this point, can they?

2 Likes

Bond 25?

Kingsman?

Mission Impossible Fallout?

Avengers Endgame?

That description does describe most large films, especially when they’ve had a release date booked before they’ve even made it.

I just mean it’s opening the same weekend the Super Bowl is also on.

But people host big parties all day Sunday (not just the evening) and Saturday is going out to get ready for it.

It’s usually a weekend you would release the small romantic comedy to get the business of those not interested in the SB, not a big spy thriller.

1 Like

And you think that’s a bigger competition than Frozen 2?

Oh, much bigger. RS and Frozen 2 don’t share the same audience, but RS and the Super Bowl absolutely share the same audience.