The ROGER MOORE Thread

The movie came at the perfect time for both the series and Moore. I enjoy LALD, but TSWLM really allowed him to stamp his authority. And Moonraker doubled down on that.

2 Likes

Moore’s “007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die” is back in print in a limited edition hardcover. Available now at Amazon UK and Oct 1 Amazon US.

I saw that on Amazon last night.

As flawed as some of Sir Roger’s movies can be (007 or not), you can’t deny that he was always a charming writer. In particular with his own life adventures.

I’ll be getting this re-release for sure. I’ve never read this one.

Please, do. It´s a wonderful report on what happened during the shooting, in a way only Sir Roger could tell this story.

1 Like

It’s brilliant. I bought it for about 1p off Amazon years ago. You’ll love it

1 Like

I have two copies from 73. What a pity he didn`t keep it up through his entire run! I was expecting more of the same sort in My Word is My Bond or One Lucky Bastard (aka Last Man Standing), but what he did write about was not disappointing.

I was lamenting to my wife recently how I couldn’t find Shout At the Devil, Escape to Athena or ffolks on video anywhere, and she surprised me on my birthday by presenting me with all three, which she`d found at TCM. What a haul! What a lady.

6 Likes

Incredible film, surprised it’s not mentioned more round here for the sheer number of Bond stalwarts in it.

3 Likes

I was listening to Roger’s audio commentary for Moonraker today. Something he said stuck out to me. Basically how he didn’t particularly enjoy rewatching movies from 40 odd years ago that he starred in. That so much time had passed that the guy in the movies (Bond) ‘wasn’t him’ and was instead a ‘piece of meat’. He also added how he could laugh and react to what he (Bond) was doing on screen easier because of it. Really interesting and true, and made me feel melancholy. These films now have a life all of their own.

2 Likes

I’ll probably pick that up. Roger is such a titan of Bond and I hope he’s referenced for Bond 25. Still weird to think his physical self is no longer with us.

Treat yourself to a great action film which efficiently lays out everything you need to know plot wise, nothing more, nothing less, and gets the job done without resorting to all the tricks that make action movies these days so overkinetically over the top. And a hero like Ffolkes would never be okayed today by any studio.

4 Likes

That’s a lot of money for an old movie. The German version (incl. English audio) is 8,99 euro at Amazon.de and I bought -years ago- the Australian version for around 10-15 euro. So 30 dollar (=26,93 euro) sounds very expensive.

I know I have a couple of them, incl. new versions of the Dollar trilogy and Arabian Adventures, but… my point is there are already exellent versions of that movie released on blu ray which are not that expensive.
And audio commentary of two people who have nothing to do with the movie sounds not interesting to me.

The Australian version has also the choice to see the movie with both different titles NSH and ffolkes.

For a blu-Ray it’s about the norm.

I said right initially, but that’s debatable.

Ok there you have a point. I have region free players so I never have to think about that.

A tangent on the thread but with regards to a region free player is there anything you have to worry about when buying one? There are a lot of movies I am interested in that do not have a North American release so I am considering it but just cautious as the price for them sees high. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

A PS4 is one you don’t have to worry about, most blu-Ray players these days are region free, but it’s still something you occasionally need to look for because mike from accounts really wants his share.

Most people share the eye roll you just did.

1 Like

Here in The Netherlands no blu ray players are region free. You have to buy them at special shops or sides. I buy them here:
Stegen Electronics - Stegen Electronics
www.stegen.com/nl/

But it’s not cheap. I bought a normal Sony blu ray player for I believe 79 euro and later the same player regio free for about 100 euro more.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the advice on region free players. Much appreciated.