The ROGER MOORE Thread

The first Bond I saw was George Lazenby. My dad’s favorite Bond was Sean Connery. I have met Daniel Craig. For all that, Roger Moore will forever be my favorite Bond because he was the right man to play Bond at a critical time and his interpretation help the series finds its voice at a time when cinema was a harsh reflection of a dour decade, his Bond gave us a bon vivant hero and we loved him. I never related myself with anyone famous except for Sir. Roger. I share a lot of personality traits with the man and I always felt I understood him. His humor, his self awareness, his loyalty to charity and his ability to make fun of himself but always be cordial and respectful of others. He will forever be my fanboy idol. I miss for not being with us anymore. He was a rare kind of special.

8 Likes

My first 007 was Roger Moore in Moonraker and he is and remains always Simon Templar/Ivanhoe/ Brett Sinclair/ James Bond for me, and he is a very decent storyteller.
Once met Richard Kiel and he thought that Roger Moore was the gentleman among the 007 performers, and I think most 007 fans will be agreeing to that even if they do not like his 007 performance.

Sir Roger Moore may he rest in peace.

2 Likes

He’ll be sick of the joke already. Poor man hasn’t even begun hearing it…

3 Likes

Just think of all the ‘Bonds’ that might have been splendid intelligencers - if not for their name…

He should be proud.

1 Like

“You can expect more of MI6; much more - Richard Moore!”

1 Like

If you’re going to be associated with anyone…

3 Likes

His reaction shots are priceless. Nobody does it better.

3 Likes

So many gifs…so little time…
image image

5 Likes

This is how I feel since Corona…
Roger Moore as James Bond in Moonraker

4 Likes

Thanks for the gifs. They remind me why MR has my favorite Moore Bond performance.

4 Likes

The moment when he meets Lois Chiles by the canal in Venice: “Dr Goodhead!” No other human being, dead or alive could have delivered that line.

4 Likes

We truly do live in a simulation.

1 Like

Check out this rank of Roger Moore Bond movies…:exploding_head:

1 Like

The Spy Who Loved Me ranked 7th of the Moore films!? F***ing SEVENTH! oh wait, they were using the 1-10 type scale. So that means TSWLM is the best and OP 2nd best with AVTAK 3rd of all films. To each his own I suppose.

Not my ranking at all. But it’s interesting that the reviewer finds most films to move at a glacial pace. Tells me more about his expectations.

1 Like

Fast and Furious or nothing?

1 Like

I know, of course, that viewing habits change, and that I as a teenager of the 80´s already had been influenced by faster editing and MTV-style tempo.

But I never thought that the “old” films (back then it was even movies from the 50´s which I considered old) were boring or too slow. I was entertained or not. Faster edits or storytelling still doesn’t add any value to a story if it is not inherently necessary.

There are plenty of films which move very fast and still leave me bored. On the other hand I am constantly enthralled by films which take their time and pull me in through their “slowness”.

Coming back to this ranking - to consider TSWLM as moving at a glacial pace I really don’t think that there is any fact-based evidence for that.

5 Likes

This ranking is the work of a lunatic… but then again, he says Rog is the weakest Bond, sooooo… yah… ok…

2 Likes

I was struck by his focus on pace as well.

As I understand the change, people now approach a work of art with the expectation that the encounter will meet their needs. Viewers/readers/listeners no longer give themselves over to the world of the art object; rather, they expect the art object to meet whatever needs (in terms of content and formal elements) they bring to the aesthetic engagement. In this way, art is stripped of its transformative/transcendent aspect, and becomes therapeutic/comforting/confirming.

We now live in Dusty’s world: “I ask if you have something with a little puce in it, and you fly off the handle.”

3 Likes