The Saint Thread (Again)

Post here for all discussion of The Saint.

Speaking of which, thanks to the magic of Netflix I was able to watch the delayed movie with Adam Rayner and Eliza Dushku and…I was not impressed. For me, some of the acting was bad and the movie felt hollow. Like being a generic action movie with just the name of The Saint for name recognition.

I can see why it was delayed for so long and I hope this won’t be the last time we se Simon Templar on either screen or film.

As for books, going to reread Featuring The Saint from 1931 tomorrow.

Rereading the Saint books is always a good idea regardless of any movie.

The TV movie was partly re-shot because the original pilot turned out to be unwanted or not good enough to have serious interest to turn it into a series. So it was originally shot by Simon West and ended up being somebody else’s movie.

I found it decent enough and it made me sad enough knowing that we missed the chance for a new Saint Series. perhaps now they can do a series of tv movies with ITV but then far more period based starting before WWII.

I had no idea there was a new Saint movie - incidentally, love Eliza Dushku since Buffy - maybe worth a decent watch.
I remember back in my youth that the Beeb repeated all the Sanders / Conway movies from the 30s and 40s. They were quite entertaining and some, I think, were based on Leslie Charteris’ novels.
I’m not a lover of The Saint, but I do have an interest in old movie series (Tarzan, Charlie Chan, Mr Moto, etc). Are the Saint movies available on DVD/BluRay ?

Back to the 1930’s?

I haven’t seen Adam Rayner movie one yet. I read few month ago they planning a Movie version again but please not Superman Henry Cavil there a lot actors there to play the role of the Saint; Simon Templar.

Back to the 1930’s indeed it would make the adventures of a gentleman adventures/thief/rogue much more comfortable and would be a true return to the Saint’s roots. The modern Saint seemed to fail too often it might be another route to restart The Saint in a manner that is true to his original format & era

No argument here. I like the idea.

The George Sanders and Hugh Sinclair Saint movies are available on dvd via the Warner Archive. The Louis Hayward Saint movies are still unavailable on dvd in the US.

I watched this Rayner film only today.

Awful.

And bearing in mind that the always affable and knowledgeable Ian Dickerson was around on these boards posting this and that, I am sure this wasn’t what he was hoping for either.

All the various story threads, back stories, flashbacks, the children, knowing looks, reactions and Ac-Ting unfortunately tired me out. Deary me. Like all the recent efforts in bringing the Saint to screen, this was just as appalling. I am sure the efforts were genuinely made but it did need a lot of tidying up.

For me, I still stick with the 30’s and 40’s films for a slice of cut and thrust.

I must confess I didn’t even make it through the film. I’m afraid it just lacked the spirit for me.

#metoo… Gave up after the opening scene!

I thought it was okay myself.