The Saint Thread (Again)

Sorry, just a (poor?) attempt at levity. I don’t even mind the gaps. I’d just as soon they let SP end the series, honestly. It wasn’t much of a “finale,”, but it felt more like one than we’ve ever gotten, and at this point better to stop while they’re (more or less) ahead.

1 Like

I can’t criticise, as you can see I went for the same attempt in the second half :grin:

I made the mistake of looking up Lorenzo di Bonaventura’s CV - two of films I like - Constantine and Stardust, the former I like for the content it keeps from the comic, the latter is all Vaughn, Goldman and Gaiman as demonstrated by their other works.

Point is…we’re at the mercy of the studio and the chosen director, or how much that director will stand up against the studio going by the two directors mentioned.

Will believe it when I see it.

Although I probably won’t see it.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly…

I have never seen a single episode of The Saint until tonight. I recently subscribed to Amazon Prime so I could watch The Grand Tour. Tonight I was delighted to discover that the first five seasons of The Saint were available for streaming.

The first episode is Roger and a pre-Goldfinger Shirley Eaton(!). I noticed the air date for the first episode was October 4, 1962. I new the date sounded familiar that’s when I realized that was the day before Dr. No premiered.

I’ve watched three episodes already and I love it. Roger was the best.

Roger%20The%20Saint

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been rewatching some of these eps now that it’s available on prime. I love the way Rog breaks the fourth wall in these black and white episodes. The color episodes transition to a voiceover which is still fun but less personal. Plenty of Bond veterans play supporting roles in many of the episodes, and some even play different characters!

1 Like

Rog’s saint series is fantastic isnt it. I always felt that the saint, and Lord Brett Sinclair from the persuaders, were better fits to Rog than james bond. They allow him more breathing room and for his personality to really shine through, whereas james bond is a bit of a straight jacket in terms of making him stiffer and more reserved.

The older saint films from the 40s are also worth checking out if you can find them. The return of the saint from the 70s is also quite good.

2 Likes

I’m getting a kick out of seeing so many future Bond alum in these Saint episodes. Shirley Eaton has pop up again and in “Miami Beach” no less!

1 Like

A year since any updates to this thread and now this… Thoughts?

1 Like

Too little detail to say a lot about the project either way. The aim seems to be a typical action film. But if it doesn’t manage to be more they could just as well leave it alone. Most of it will depend on who is going to get the Saint part and the chemistry with the rest of the ensemble. Simon Baker would have been a good choice ten years ago…

3 Likes

It’s a franchise too many and i don’t think he’s right for it, but director’s are often keen on muses. Since Rocketman’s done so well it wouldn’t surprise me if Taron Egerton gets Dexter’s vote.

2 Likes

That actually sounds like a plan👏

He was also his lead in Eddie The Eagle…though would Kingsman count against him? Do people want to see Eggsy as The Saint?

Probably

I always thought Adrian Lester would’ve been a good Saint. Too old now though.
Jeremy Norton would be a better fit for the Saint than Bond IMO.

1 Like

He’s a shoe in for the role - a no brainier - his agent must surely be fielding offers already. Even if Dexter did want Taron I’ll bet the producers want James. And if he turns it down i wouldn’t be surprised if we’re back on the Hiddleston rumour roundabout. The rags can run the same stories all over again, just replacing the word ‘Bond’ with ‘Saint’.

But there’s something to be said for off kilter casting; as much as Ive always really liked Val Kilmer as an actor (since Willow and Kill Me Again) I thought he seemed a daft choice for The Saint. But he did a cracking job and brought interesting new layers to the role.

So, I kind of hope they surprise us again, rather than someone he too easily fits the cliches.

1 Like

Exactly! Could be a franchise too many. But maybe the forthcoming non-eggsy Kingsman will help him and Dexter convince the producers there’s enough breathing space between the two (though I think there’s yet another eggsy another Kingsman in the pipeline!)

Chris Pine to play The Saint , according to Variety…

1 Like

I’m afraid the time for The Saint has come and gone again. Around the time of The Mentalist - and possibly with Simon Baker - one could have imagined a show in the vein of Roger Moore’s depiction. A step or two removed from the source material but still better than nothing, a lighter show with serious undertones and maybe a little old fashioned about its spirit. A bit naïve perhaps about human nature and good vs. bad.

Today I see The Saint as a classic character of the pulp age, like The Phantom or The Shadow. Belonging more or less to another era. The problem is not so much that he couldn’t be updated, but that it was already done by countless characters from thriller literature to comic strips. A bit of The Saint can be found in private eyes and superheroes of all kinds. And the original version, some posh gentleman thief travelling in a fantasy car, doing good and leaving calling cards like Arsène Lupin, is just a bit passé as a pitch.

I would like to see a Simon Templar project finally taking off and succeeding, I’m just not very optimistic about it any more.

3 Likes