The What If Moments or Scenarios: A Day By Day Game

I know it’s late, hence the reason why I didn’t put the date… But, anyway.

SPECTRE: What if the mouse in L’Americain hadn’t showed up? What if Bond didn’t found the secret room behind the walls?
Bonus question: What if Blofeld’s plan of drilling his brain succeeded?

Problem with all these scenarios: the film would have abruptly come to an end, which is not possible, so an alternative solution would have been found.

But you’re pointing to the solutions the films did choose, and here there are two main issues I have with SPECTRE.

• the mouse: at the meeting Bond already makes the poor Mickey Mouse joke, and here it is a mouse which leads him to the secret room.

Why a mouse? Who thought: wow, that is a great idea for Bond.

I would have preferred him to find it with Madeleine, following clues only she could have had. Not in a drunken state talking to a rodent.

• the torture scene: of course, Bond is often in that predicament. Getting out of that with a gadget is also tradition. All the more reason to find a better way. Again, in another draft Bond was thrown into a chamber with the captured Q, and how they escpaped from being grilled was much more interesting.

Also, with Blofeld elaborating how this drilling will impair Bond‘s memory, I really feared for Bond‘s fate. But then, Blofeld misses with that needle (why?) and Madeleine is only sitting there the whole time. I would have preferred her to play along with Blofeld, making him think she was on his side all the time, and then helping Bond escape.

What if… Sean Connery had been invested in YOLT and hadn’t phoned in a non performance as a protest? Let’s say the invested Connery of FRWL?

What if … Marc Forster was allowed another shot at a Bond Film, there are elements of QOS that are mesmerising and I think without the outside factors he could make a stone cold classic movie.

3 Likes

What if SPECTRE had not been plagued by the Sony leaks, the reduction of its budget and Craig‘s severe injury?

What if SPECTRE had been Craig‘s swan song and the new Bond had been delayed by COVID?

2 Likes