What are you reading?

It was the marker of cool at my school…

1 Like

Okay. Photos, please!

2 Likes

To my hope and knowledge, no pictures of me wearing that head exist. There is a reason why I usually was/am the guy with the camera. I hate photos of myself :wink:

But you gave me an idea. I hadn’t seen or had it in my hand for at least 35(!) years, but to my utter surprise, it was exactly where I expected to find it (thought my mother threw it away ages ago because she hated the damn thing). Needed some dusting off (which didn’t help much). Back in the day, it drew more attention than James Caan’s hat in “El Dorado”, but when I look at it now, it reminds more of Robert Mitchum’s (the one he grabs before getting his bottle at the saloon)…

Wish I knew where my poster is. My brother nicked it from the local cinema as a present for my 16th birthday, but as my mother hated that one, too, she made it “disappear”. She denies, of course, but it’s a fact that it’s not there any more. Same happened to a Grateful Dead poster from a cancelled European show - which probably would be worth a lot now…

5 Likes

Reading an oral biography of Marlene Dietrich (hey I’m gay, whaddaya expect?).

4 Likes

I just remember that the BLUES BROTHERS venue also billed THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW once a week - sadly before the age of ubiquitous mobile photography…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

That‘s one cool hat!

3 Likes

Munich is your hometown, I presume? “Museum Lichtspiele”, close to the Deutsches Museum… Somewhere in my vaults, I have a photo of that marquee from a school trip to Munich ca. 1985 (but no idea where to look for it). “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, “Blues Brothers” and Billy Wilder’s “One, Two, Three”, which had a cinematic re-release in Germany that year and later turned out to be one of my all tim favorites.
They still play “Rocky Horror Picture Show” every week, since July 1977

2 Likes

Good call - but we moved to Nuremberg in the late 70s. It was the KaLi (Kammer-Lichtspielhaus, supposedly the oldest cinema dating back to 1918 or so. Since 97 it’s a puppet theatre: Theater Salz + Pfeffer – Wikipedia)

2 Likes

No worries. One of my earliest film memories is watching The Blues Brothers with my Dad at home. It’s his favourite movie and it quickly became mine. Have you seen the extended cut? It’s the only version I watch now.

4 Likes

Praise the Lord for the times of Amazon Prime, where you can order any old crap from around the world and have it delivered home within two days. My copy arrived today. Together with the US double picture disc of NTTD. Final item to complete my NTTD vinyl collection. Christmas does not come only once a year. :laughing: :+1:

5 Likes

Please can you tell me more about the US double picture disc? I only see the same picture we all know? What is the other picture disc? Is it different than one of the separate discs which are already available?

There are four picture disc versions of the soundtrack, three of which have a a shortened version of the soundtrack on one disc: the one with Bond on the A side and Safin on B. The second one has Nomi on A and Madeleine on B. The third one has (different) parts of the 007 logo on either side. These three are European releases.
The fourth one is a double picture disc, containing the entire soundtrack, like the regular ones. Bond on side A, Safin on B, Nomi on C and Madeleine on D. That one is a U.S. release, labelled as “Target exclusive”. Images are the same as the single disc versions.

This should be of help:
https://www.discogs.com/de/master/2321161-Hans-Zimmer-No-Time-To-Die-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

2 Likes

Thank you for your great explanation. So I already have all these picture discs, but not together, but I don’t think that is realy important to/for me. Most important is that I have them.

Edit: On the other hand… the longer I think about it, the more I want it and at the end of the month I got my vacation money and it still is not as much as the Taschen Dr. No book. :smile:

1 Like

The problem with the double picture disc is that it’s a U.S. release and thus hard to find in Europe. It currently has a Discogs medium value of about 23 Euros, but if you buy from a European seller, he’ll ask at least 50 Euros for it (and you may need some patience). But you’ll have low shipping rates, so it’ll be between 50 an 60 Euros in total (at least). If you buy from a U.S. seller, there’s no problem finding one between 15 and 20 Euros, but you’ll have shipping costs of at least 25 Euros, plus taxes and tariffs, so at the end of the day, it’ll be around 50 Euros, too.
Depends on how badly you want it. I wanted it badly, because I wanted to close that gap. I waited for several weeks, hoping that there’d be a seller who has something else from my want list, so the shipping price would be worth it, but to no avail. At the end, I din’t want to wait any longer…

2 Likes

There are a lot on Ebay, so also No Time to Hurry!

1 Like

I just finished License Renewed. A mixed bag, to say the least. There were A LOT of awkward moments. I don’t know if it’s because of some things going on in my personal life, or if I need a creative change, but this was hard to read at times. The pacing was off. After reading the Raymond Benson introduction, I am thankful he told IFP that he wanted to do more than a one off. No matter the quality of his Bond work. I also think that EON adapted more of LR than they care to admit. From Wikipedia:

Some key plot elements in Licence Renewed may have had some influence on subsequent Bond films; most notably Anton Murik’s plot of a nuclear disaster with the aid of an infamous terrorist which was the basis of The World Is Not Enough. Other key elements from Renewed that appeared in future Bond films were Anton’s cheating at horse racing, which Max Zorin did in A View to a Kill, and the obsession with weapons, not unlike Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights.

I still give EON more and more credit for not taking the easy road and just adapting continuation novels. Overall, most series take time to find the right direction, and it seems that John Gardener and James Bond are no different to this usual situation. Also, I like the idea of a female Q. I just hope (and believe) that EON wouldn’t be as awkward with the character(s) as John Gardener was with this idea!

2 Likes

Having reread Roger Moore‘s Diary about the LALD shoot I was surprised how many mishaps and organizational problems occurred. Even Moore getting injured on his first day and then thankfully being able to spend his first days sitting down in that boat to mask the injury seems surprising (and considering the injuries of Brosnan and Craig almost tradition) because many stunts Moore actually performed himself, including driving that doubledecker bus in many scenes.

7 Likes