What are your summer Bond films?

Vacation time is here - and obviously the right moment for me to add an unnecessary thread.

I noticed that during the summer I have a certain set of Bond films which work best for my enjoyment:

• THUNDERBALL
  • THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
  • MOONRAKER
  • FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
  • OCTOPUSSY
  • LICENCE TO KILL

Maybe the reason for that are the sun-drenched locations in those, also it was summer when I first saw them (and those childhood/teenage memories of those days still influence me). Or there is a certain summer-laid back-swagger about them.

Do you have any Bond films you particularly like to watch during summer?

3 Likes

I’ve got two Bond films which to me are classic summer adventures, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and LICENCE TO KILL. I suspect a good deal of their appeal is indeed due to them being summer premieres I watched as a kid or young adult. In the latter case there also seems to be an air of farewell present, an end of things as they used to be and a rite of passage to something different. That tallied perfectly with events in my own world, so I have a soft spot for that particular outing.

The summer of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY was also the summer I found out about Amis’ COLONEL SUN, with one or two similar elements, so that became a bonus for me and doubtlessly added to my preference for this film.

1 Like

This took a weird amount of thought, but probably Dr No and The Spy Who Loved me, for the reasons stated above - that sun drenched collection of locations- but also TND due to its shorter length and relative lightness. It’s an action movie first and foremost, and it wears it proudly on its sleeve.

1 Like

Great unnecessary yet, at the same time, very necessary post!
Has to be …
Thunderball
Octopussy
Live and Let Die

Curiously I wouldn’t think of watching OHMSS in summer.

4 Likes

Neither would I! That one and DAF, TNWTGG, NSNA, and DAD are my Christmas favorites.
In spring it’s Dr. No, TB, LALD and OP - they inspire me to get out into the fresh air.

A cooler - or intensely hot - summer day might keep me indoors with TSWLM, MR or FYEO. In fact, I’ve had a hankering these past few days to put on the latter.

2 Likes

Probably Thunderball and Licence to Kill.

Goldfinger, Thunderball, Live and Let Die, Man With the Golden Gun, License to Kill, Quantum of Solace

1 Like