What Bond movie do you feel like watching?

That’s what I watched last night. Or at least the first half. The second half is cued up for tonight.

2 Likes

I watched Quantum of Solace, which represents my first Bond movie in a while. I knew time would be kind to Craig’s second outing.

4 Likes

I tend to save On Her Majesty’s Secret Service for Christmas time. Last December I showed bits of the movie to my kids for the first time, including the end.

I will watch TMWTGG this weekend. I need a good film to clear away some detritus that has accumulated in my head/life.

3 Likes

My daughter just watched her first ever Bond movie this week. I know, she’s 10, it was about time! I picked TSWLM, as I thought it is the best introduction to Bond. She positively loved it and wants to watch more. She wants to see OP, so I guess this is the next one on the list…

5 Likes

TMWTGG is a real hidden gem of sorts in the Bond franchise, as if LALD’s shadow is too great. Cigar smoking Moore had an edge to him here, possibly moreso than any other film in his era. His encounter with Lazar, slapping Anders, throwing the child overboard and such.

Christopher Lee is easily one of the best villains in the franchise, and with Nick Nack, they make a very good duo. Anything on the island and the funhouse is excellent - especially their dinner. Pure Fleming.

4 Likes

Good to see some love for a very underrated film. I love Bonds walk through Hai Fat’s gardens on the way to dinner… very creepy and very Bond. Nick Nack’s best moment for sure!

3 Likes

That is one of the things I like about the film (I think Hamilton helped shape this performance, after Moore’s Don’t-Play-Bond-Like-Connery performance in LALD). But again, it is a one-shot Bond; Moore’s re-calibration as Commander Bond in TSWLM was a brilliant stroke–the characterization suited his talents and was durable.

Great atmosphere in the scene. A few others I enjoy:

Goodnight being hidden in the closet for two hours “all in the line of duty.”
The RMS Queen Elizabeth set.
Hai Fat’s death.
Nick Nack being placed in the suitcase.

And here’s a statement I’m confident enough to make: TMWTGG Moore was the most handsome a Bond actor has ever looked in the franchise. I’ve always thought that.

4 Likes

Remarkable given how ill he was reputedly during filming , I do think Connery looked m(o)ore handsome in Goldfinger , the opening shot of Dalton in TLD is, in my opinion up there too.

TMWTGG has something I thought all the CraigBonds so far sorely missed: the sense of adventure in a far away place, Bond in another world.

This is one major ingredient in the films in general, for my taste, and the abundance of settings in overfamiliar places (London, Austria) or rather indistinctive surroundings (Miami, Morrocco, Chile could have easily been somewhere else) hurt the Craig era a lot.

2 Likes

When was Bond in Chile?

QOS, I thought?

Do you mean Haiti? Or Bolivia?

1 Like

I stand corrected.

The desert scene at the end of QoS was in Chile, wasn’t it?

Filmed in Chile, but set in Bolivia. The hotel is actually an observatory.

2 Likes

So, I don‘t stand corrected anymore. :wink:

1 Like

Time for a Double-Oh, double feature night…Live And Let Die followed by From Russia With Love…:cocktail::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am in the mood for You Only Live Twice tonight