What do you think about the NTTD release date?

“WB will be very happy that people are so eager to believe a director has anywhere NEAR that level of power, it’s going to make throwing the director under the bus for the finance departments mistakes, so much easier in the future”

A director I’ve worked with several times on the idea that Nolan can tell AT&T (https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/09/why-att-shares-fell-226-in-the-first-half-of-2020.aspx) and Theatre companies (https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/24/dont-buy-amc-theatres-stock-until-these-3-things-h.aspx) how to proceed with their business plans.

2 Likes

If we’re lucky.

The way the US is handling this pandemic, and being such a dominant theatrical box office dependency, what’s to say we even get new theatrical releases next year.

1 Like

Ignore that, case of mistaken identity

There’s this prevailing argument coming out of UK and other international cinema owners now - how much the US situation is holding the rest of world hostage

Spitballing here - if we’re still in the same place in November, if there’s a big blockbuster that could get away with not being a global day and date theatrical release and go international and UK first by a considerable margin, it’s NTTD I’d say…hell maybe one step further and VOD it in the US only?

1 Like

Problem is: November is the start of flu season, so waves of flu and COVID-19 will overlap and make it impossible for cinemas to remain open in Europe.

VOD everywhere is the sensible solution.

1 Like

The six year gap between LTK and GE meant a fresh start, a new Bond, a new approach, and a great jumping-on point for a whole new generation of fans, myself included.

A six hear gap between Spectre and NTTD, with all these dreary plot threads resuming…

That’s like if in 1995, Eon had brought back Dalton as Bond, with Talisa Soto as the main love interest harbouring a dark secret, with a cameo from Jeroen Krabbe as a twisted “manipulator” toying with Bond from behind bars, with Douglas Wilmer returning as Fanning for some reason, and the most prominent setpiece in the trailers being ANOTHER fire engine chase through San Francisco.

In other words, it would be baffling and offputting. There’s a reason soap operas put out episodes every day rather than every six years.

This whole thing has been an unpleasant catastrophe, I’ve gone from angry about it to completely mentally unhinged, and I’m taking a grim pleasure in every bit of bad news.

The slightest bit of goodwill from Eon would go a long way. A brief clip? A track from the score? An announcement that a script for Bond 26 is underway?

It was striking yesterday when the Halloween franchise put out a statement saying they were “heartbroken” about their delay. It was surprising after five years of “We are THRILLED to deliver our fans nothing of any interest” from Eon. I feel like I’m in an abusive relationship with them and if I can’t be happy, at least they’re finally suffering now too.

All this is a sign I probably need to put the internet down and back away slowly. But you know what? I’ve been doing that for five years and it would be nice to have 2 hours of my favourite thing,

2 Likes

I’m laughing out loud right now thinking about that first teaser poster. What an absolutely insane slap in the face!

…this springs to mind…

1 Like

@dalton

Turns out…you were absolutely right yesterday…

1 Like

@secretagentfan serious fist bump for getting my joke

1 Like

Don’t take it so personally. Health is the most important thing.

I understand where you’re coming from, friend, and I particularly agree with the first bit about this being like Dalton doing GE with Talisa Soto.

Unfortunately, Eon seem so relaxed about the longevity of their series that they seem to take its success for granted, as opposed to cultivating new generations so a future is more or less assured.

But, like SAF said, you need to think about your health. To be brutal for a moment, it’s just a film, and you’re still going to wake up the next day and brush your teeth. I’m a big Bond fan, but I’m getting to the other side of it now. We’re getting two films this decade (NOTD - 2021, Bond 26 circa 2027), and there’s nothing we can do to change that.

For the last few years, I decided to take stock of what I actually like about Bond - the adventure, the geo-political plots, action, humour - and find that in other things. And there’s so much of it out there, and if you haven’t looked than I would kindly encourage you to do so.

In books, there’s Clive Cussler, Robert Ludlum, Steve Berry, Scott Mariani, Simon Kernick and dozens of others; in films, Mission Impossible, John Wick, etc; TV, there’s 24, MacGuyver, Jack Ryan, Blood and Treasure, and old stuff like The Man from UNCLE, The Equalizer, Magnum P.I., The Saint, The Avengers, The Champions, Danger Man, Department S, The Protectors etc. In other words, Bond isn’t the only game in town - it wasn’t even so in the '60s - and I don’t treat it as such.

(Also, I write my own original fiction too, so I take what I like in Bond and others and reproduce it in my own way).

I hope you don’t continue to struggle with this NTTD thing in a big way. Keep everything in perspective and proportion.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying lots of other things mentioned above, and even - gasp! - enjoying time with family. I even have a daughter who didn’t exist when Spectre came out and will be able to write “No time to die” by the time NO TIME TO DIE actually comes out.

But there’s a big, gaping hole where James Bond should be - we all know it! For my part, I’m embracing the hate and enjoying each piece of bad news. Eon certainly haven’t done anything to demand any sympathy. Remember that livestream? Can’t believe I stayed up til 1am for that.

It’s a matter of trying to sustain momentum and excitement for the movie. It’s like a kid getting Christmas cancelled three years in a row, then finding out on Christmas Eve it’s been postponed AGAIN. And he knows that when Christmas morning FINALLY rolls around, he’s getting… the exact same thing he got last Christmas, and the Christmas before that, with Rami Malek this time. Who may be playing Dr No, which we’ve ALSO already seen before.

All self sabotage. I’m just venting here, in the hopes others feel the same. It’s SOME catharsis. And it’s not as though we have anything else to discuss. “Hey, an $1800 replica of Octopussy’s dressing gown from N Peal! Limited edition, just seven produced! That’ll bring in a new generation of Bond fans!”

1 Like

This is why I treat Bond as a dormant franchise. For me, it’s 1962-2002, and what came next was just gravy.

For better or worse, the last fifteen years have had a markedly different regime at Eon than any previous era. In Cubby’s day, by all accounts, there was always a warm, family atmosphere on set, everybody liked him, and he released films regularly. Outwardly, he looked like a film producer is expected to look, like a mafia don. Barbara has had it tougher in that she is an attractive young woman who merely inherited the series (though Cubby was canny enough to let her rise through the ranks, admittedly at an accelerated rate).

She’s had to butt heads with high-powered studio executives. Understandably, she is known for being sterner, less warm (in an interview with both producers, Wilson mentioned how people report problems or bad news to him because he goes easier on them). She’s a feminist; a tough, successful, independent businesswoman - which was why she was so close to Amy Pascal, because they bonded through shared experience and perspective. And that’s not to mention the insane studio politics and rocketing budgets and wildly optimistic projected grosses. It’s a different world from the one her father walked in.

That aside, it seems to me that Barbara has little or no energy for the films any more. Perhaps because she didn’t start the series from scratch, like her dad did. That might make a big difference. If true, I can’t really blame her for being weary. It’s enough to tire the strongest.

Anyway, point is, maybe you’d find it easier if you too treated the series as if it were already over. If another film happens, great, it’ll be a nice surprise. It also means you will be less disappointed if it’s crap.

It’ll all be better when Disney takes over.

Well, maybe, but we don’t know. I’ll just wait and see, and forget about it all in the mean time.

That is true.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I bet the dinosaurs are nothing but a hoax. T-Rex’s only kill 1% of the humans they bite.

3 Likes