What Movie Have You Seen Today?

NOPE

I loved GET OUT and US.

I wanted to love NOPE.

But it really felt to me as if it was a mix of interesting ideas stitched together, going nowhere.

Peele is a great filmmaker - but this one seems to be the project which should have been rewritten to really make the one basic idea the center.

Summary

The idea with the monkey going berserk during the taping of the sitcom was fantastic. But why just keep it as one backstory, especially when it is already the intro of the movie?

So the UFO is kind of an organic entity, sucking up everything in its path but unable to digest everything. Still it sets off electricity. And it looks like the flying saucers from 50´s SciFi-Movies. Why? The movie does not give any hint about that.

Why can O.J. survive? Just by “not looking” at it? How is that possible?

And why is the goal to make it visible celebrated as a win? It does not stop the UFO. It won’t keep other UFOs from coming.

Maybe I just did not understand any of this - and yes, the world is strange and makes no sense - but in a movie I need at least a concept to grasp, even if it is absurdity rules and we, as humans, cannot understand how these UFOs work.

Was that just the same aspect which set off the monkey? Absurdity? No one can really explain why? Shit happens?

A bit too easy for my mind.

THE PASSENGER (1975) on Blu-ray

To settle a dispute with MGM, Jack Nicholson obtained the rights to the film, and held it out of circulation, an objet d’art akin to a Picasso or Klimt hanging on one’s living room wall. Fortunately, he released the rights to Sony Pictures, who restored it, and have released it.

I have grappled with the film for many years–entranced by its beauty and its mystery. Recently, I have been reviewing Antonioni films, and found that some hold up, and others are not as grand as I recall. In particular, BLOW-UP, a film I adored as a teenage cinephile, has plummeted from favor. Twice now I have tried to watch the excellent Criterion Blu-ray, and twice I have failed to finish the film. L’ECLISSE remains my favorite of the black-and-white films, and there is a similar poetry in THE PASSENGER.

Antonioni also abandons his practice of his two previous films–RED DESERT and BLOW-UP–of enhancing the real world through painting/coloring grass, trees, phone boxes, and various other elements of reality. High modernist manipulation gives way to an objective camera (Antonioni’s term), and his art works in new modalities, as he discovers new ways for cinema to speak.

Previously, as oblique as his narratives could be (I think they are still looking for Anna), his mise en scene was precise and detailed–setting up a tension between the visual and the narrative. Unfortunately, the tension was not always a productive one, and interest would wane as the running time elapsed.

In THE PASSENGER, the world is taken as his camera finds it, a given that his characters move through. The film also possesses a narrative that refuses to obey the rules of narrative, much as its editing and mise en scene refuse to follow the rules of classical filmmaking. At last, Antonioni’s has paired a narrative that deviates from storytelling conventions, with a deviating syntax of film grammar. The previous tension of his films–narrative diffuseness vs. high Modernist precision–vanishes, as these mutual acts of aesthetic disobedience harmonize with and reinforce one another, giving rise to a new mode of cinematic speech.

The film flows wondrously, comprehensible, yet mysterious, and always inviting a viewer more deeply into its depths. Just as many people have had a George Bailey moment (or two) when they wish they had never been born, relishing an imagined I-told-you-so to others who have not appreciated them, I bet a similar number have had the fantasy (I know I have) of shedding their life, and moving into another one, living differently and (presumably) with increased happiness and freedom.

Yet, as The Girl points out (in a variation on earlier comments by Locke’s wife), what was missing from Locke’s life was a sense of commitment. It wasn’t the particulars of his life that dissatisfied him, but rather its ethic (or lack of one). The Girl urges Locke to keep Robertson’s appointments, since it is commitment rather than experience that provides meaning to a person’s life. Locke needs to live differently, not in terms of the “what” of his life, but in terms of its “why” and “how.”

Antonioni would direct two more feature films before his stroke: THE MYSTERY OF OBERWALD, a made-for-television video experiment in using color on images (he was brought to the project by Monica Vitti, at the time, a bigger name than he was), and INDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN, a late film if there ever was one. Reuniting with Carlo Di Palma, the film tells the story of a filmmaker returning to his home country of Italy, and trying to figure out what his next film will be. Antonioni returns to his old themes, but having gone through the transition (or should I say crucible) of THE PASSENGER, they acquire a more mature expression and understanding. The film has just been released in a new 4K restoration, which cools down the colors from Criterion’s not-too-shabby Blu-ray release.

4 Likes

Bullet Train (2022)

A really good, well written, goofy yet engaging. Brad Pitt plays a fun, sympathetic character. A rollicking good time.

3 Likes

I will start to rewatch the films of a probably forgotten and definitely criminally underrated master director by the name Peter Weir.

Just by watching his acceptance speech for his recent honorary Oscar I was reminded of his intelligence, his empathy and his gift of enthusiasm which was incorporated into every one of his wonderful films.

Why did I forget about him in recent years?

1 Like

Strange World

Took my son to see this one (though he spend the majority of the time running up and down the stairs in the theater). It’s one I wish I enjoyed more, but alas, definitely not up to Disney’s usual standards.

Just finished the dvd of CHESS GAME, a 1983 British espionage t.v series with Terence Stamp, very slow paced but enjoyable

THE PACKAGE

Andrew Davis (The Fugitive) directed this late 80´s thriller about an assassination attempt thwarted by a soldier (Gene Hackman), chasing the convicted soldier (Tommy Lee Jones) who escaped his custody on the way from Berlin to Washington.

One of those films I was aware of but never felt the urge to watch, thinking it is just one more B-action thriller, competent at best. And guess what? It is absolutely magnificent, perfectly shot, directed, acted, edited and written. This is filmmaking at the highest order, never intrusive, always opting for clarity and exactly the right angle to compose the frame for maximum information and tension.

Highly recommended.

TOP SECRET!

I´m ashamed to admit that I had never seen this ZAZ-spoof before, despite loving AIRPLANE and THE NAKED GUN. But finally sitting down and watching this, I had so much fun. It really is at least five big laughs a minute.

ROBIN & MARIAN

Another absolute gem I finally saw. Richard Lester directs the story of an aging Robin Hood connecting with Marian again and falling into the same pattern of behavior which led to the end of their relationship.

Gorgeously shot in REAL locations, wonderfully written and perfectly acted by Audrey Hepburn and Sean Connery, this is one of the all time best movies I have ever seen. And yes, John Barry delivers another gem of a score. This is a movie which is everything: funny, exciting, romantic, honest, sad and full of life with all its many aspects. If you have not seen this, search for it. This is mandatory viewing for every movie fan.

5 Likes

SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE (The Expanded Cut)

I never, okay, rarely miss an opportunity to say that I love SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE and consider it the best comic book adaptation ever made. As a young one STAR WARS, BOND, STAR TREK, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and SUPERMAN were my absolute favorites, and when I watched them in the cinema I really forgot the world around me and was transported into their worlds.

Now, as a rapidly aging adult I still have that childish side and can appreciate these films completely.

Yet, I had never seen the expanded cut of SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE - it is not Donner´s Director´s Cut but the version prepared by the producers, putting in a ton of extended scenes which were left on the cutting room floor, just for the sake of a padded running time on tv.

But.

Despite changing the pacing of the film - which is fabulous in the cinema version - these scenes really add interesting bits to all the characters, even action beats, so I absolutely enjoyed seeing this film for the umpteenth time again, only this time with new moments which are really worth watching.

So, if you like this legendary movie, check out this version. You will not regret it.

6 Likes

THE TRIAL–4K restoration viewed at Film Forum in New York City

The backstory is both fabulous and Wellesian:

“You can make any movie you want Orson from this list of 82 public domain works, and I will not interfere.”

"I’ll do “The Trial.”

“The Trial” turns out not to be in the pubic domain. Alexander Salkind purchases the rights.

Salkind raises money, and shooting beings in Zagreb. Filming switches to Paris, where sets are to be built at the Bois du Boulogne studios–sets which will gradually disappear as the film’s narrative progresses. It turns out that it is the funding that disappears (and not gradually), and so no sets are built. Welles sees two moons in the night sky, which turn out to be two of the faces of the (abandoned) Gare D’Orsay’s clocktower. Inspiration hits, and Welles has his new location.

Welles films and edits his movie, and it is released as he intends (one of eight to be afforded that privilege). THE TRIAL opens to confusion in the United States, and to acclaim in France.

One last thing: no one bothers to copyright the movie.

Even among Wellesians, THE TRIAL is the least loved of his films, with Joseph McBride declaring that it is “hard to watch” and an “ultimate failure,” and Jonathan Rosenbaum saying that the film is “his creepiest and most disturbing work.”

Welles himself told Peter Bogdanovich that “. . . it’s the most autobiographical movie that I’ve ever made, the only one that’s really close to me. And just because it doesn’t speak in a Middle Western accent doesn’t mean a damn thing. It’s much closer to my own feelings about everything than any other picture I’ve ever made.”

Enter the 4K restoration. For years, THE TRIAL was available only in subpar prints. The original negative was discovered in 1995 in a New York office building, so we had, at last, the complete film. But now with this restoration, we have the film in superb condition. Edmond Richard’s black-and-white cinematography is revealed in its full richness and nuance. Welles’ loved the expressiveness of b&w filmmaking, and, with THE TRIAL, reaches the pinnacle of his explorations of and experiments with it. Interestingly, one of the reasons for such deep blacks and whites was so that the negative could withstand any deterioration it might undergo as it wended its way through Yugoslav customs–proof that not all artistic choices are grounded in aesthetics first and foremost.

I have loved THE TRIAL since I first saw more than 40 years ago. I remember thinking: “Welles did it. He gave K a reason to feel guilty. He made him gay!” At the time, I did not know Anthony Perkins was gay himself, or that homosexuality and its discontents/fears hovered at the edge of many of Welles’ films. Back then I felt that Welles had fixed Kafka–transformed an amorphous dread into something real, palpable, and (most importantly for me) understandable–something that could be contested. And contest his fate Perkin’s Joseph K. certainly does–refusing to “die like a dog,” thereby forcing his executioner’s to do the job.

Besides the revelation of Richard’s cinematography, this screening highlighted for me how brilliantly edited the film is. Welles always believed in the importance of editing, and later works such as CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (especially the Battle of Shrewsbury); F FOR FAKE; and THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND are marvels of what can be accomplished with editing. But with THE TRIAL, I find that camerawork and editing work hand-in-hand in the most sophisticated way in Welles’ career. The editing is creative without being showy. In other Welles films, editing magic is needed to a) camouflage the fact that actor x was not available to shoot the reverse shot or b) allow the film to be assembled from various sources (with some elements not having been shot by Welles).

In both instances, I am sometimes thrown out of the movie as I marvel at the inventiveness; with THE TRIAL, the inventiveness draws me deeper into the mystery/beauty of the work. Welles was in command–mighty command–of footage of his own devising, and that command–not needing to cover-up deficiencies–allowed his creativity/imagination to be unconstrained rather than (partially) compensatory/reactive.

I was mesmerized by the film world of THE TRIAL once again, admiring the craft, but such admiration never distracted from the emotional and intellectual pull of the work. The performances are wonderful, with Perkins the best he ever was–carrying the film on his elegant, tall, and lanky frame (so different from Kafka’s weasel-like K).

Welles is also terrific as the Advocate (a role he envisioned for Jackie Gleason, who did not want to travel to Europe). Sans fake nose or heavy make-up, behind which he had often hidden, Hastler is Welles raw/naked–in command and powerful, but with a subterranean hint that he too knows he is part of a system larger than he is, which could demote/kneecap him at any moment (as Hollywood had done to Welles so often in the past, and would do again in the future).

If THE TRIAL happens to play near you, try to see it, since the visuals must been experienced on a screen for the greatest appreciation. Otherwise, a region-free 4K Blu-ray has been released, and I think I read that the film is streaming in Europe on Amazon. I hope most would agree that Welles is in cinema heaven. THE TRIAL is the film that punched his ticket.

2 Likes

Always wanted to see this film. Now‘s the time. Thank you for this brilliant review.

Glass Onion
It’s funnier than the first, but not in a distracting way. I loved every second.

Summary

Hugh Grant as Phillip was clearly meant to be a surprise, it’s a shame that so many sites spoiled it just for a click-bait headline.

Another thought I’d add in a vague way (you’ll get why if you’ve seen it)
The performance of Ana De Armas’ successor is a tour de force.

3 Likes

First: thanks for the kind comment.

Second: with additional thinking, I realized how Wellesian it was to move the Parable of the Law from the end of the novel, where it serves a climax, to the beginning, where Welles narrates it. This dislocation is like KANE, where the films starts with CFK’s death and deathbed utterance, and OTHELLO, which begins with the double funeral of Othello and Desdemona (there is also a visual reference with the first shot of Joseph K.).

With KANE and OTHELLO, we want to find out what happened. With THE TRIAL, the question is “Will Joseph K. gain access to the law?”

I picked up a copy of “The Trial” today at The Strand Bookstore–Kafka is among my gaps. I did not choose one of the newer translations, but the classic Muir one, since that is what Welles would have read and based his script on.

3 Likes

Same here.

I still have the original slightly in front of it, mainly because it was such a surprise, and I also slightly prefer that cast and its mystery.

But GLASS ONION is an absolute powerhouse film, twisting and turning my expectations around and around, and it has more laughs.

Rian Johnson should have done a Bond film with Craig.

But I also would love to see him do a Bond anyway.

That time of year so….Die Hard. It’s my yearly Christmas tradition. Also watched Glass Onion, which was a ton of fun again. I can’t wait for part 3.

1 Like

Whodunits have definitely been a recurring theme for me lately. In addition to Glass Onion I’ve finally caught up on the two Kenneth Branagh Poirots and See How They Run.

1 Like

Enola Holmes 1 & 2

Surprisingly fun, wonderfully entertaining and delightful.

Millie Bobby Brown is magnificent, even splendidly able to break the fourth wall.

And Henry Cavill really shines here, able to pull off humour as I had never seen him before mastering it.

1 Like

I’ve only seen Death on the Nile, which was predictable (by 2022 standards). I planning on getting to Murder on the Orient Express soonish.

1 Like

I initially skipped Murder on the Orient Express in cinemas thinking ‘what’s the fun of a mystery where you already know the solution?’ Turns out the fun is watching this cast play these characters and watching the dominoes be set up ready to be knocked down in the big reveal.
Death on the Nile didn’t land as well, not just for having a less interesting solution but also a less interesting cast. Emma Mackey as the vengeful ex was the real stand out.

2 Likes

SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)–4K restoration at Film Forum in NYC

Hitchcock lamented that he could not attract the same caliber writers in Hollywood that he could in England. He said that they looked down on the genre he worked in. Thornton Wilder was not anxious to work with Hitchcock, but wanted some quick cash before he went off to war. The two met, hit it off, and developed a deep admiration for each other. As a result of this admiration, AH included a separate title card that read:

We wish to acknowledge
the contribution of
MR. THORNTON WILDER
to the preparation of this production

It comes just before the Directed By credit.

Sally Benson (“Meet Me in St. Louis” novel) and Alma Reville (Mrs. AH) also contributed to the screenplay, and the result is one of the best Hitchcock ever had.

Watching the film the other day, I was amazed at how Hitchcock centered women, and even more amazingly, women’s experiences of the world at that moment in time. Young Charlie’s restlessness, her anger at her mother’s treatment, and frustration at her acceptance of it, and her determination to have a different life suffuse the film with depth that is missing from most of today’s movies.

There is always talk about the Hitchcock blonde, but dark-haired Teresa Wright is luminous as Young Charlie–we watch her mature on screen, forced to grow up as she learns the truth about her beloved Uncle Charlie. The final outfit she wears as she sees Uncle Charlie off–all black/fashionably cut/more adult than any previous one–signals Young Charlie’s transition to adult womanhood. AH’s visual storytelling is superb.

The rest of the cast matches her step for step, especially Patricia Collinge as he mother. Collinge’s performance captures all the nuances of joy, compromise, and disappointment that a woman of that time would have cycled through.

And then there is Uncle Charlie himself. Stylishly and unabashedly contemptuous of the sleepy town of Santa Rosa where he has come to hide out, his rakishness appeals while his murderousness appalls. He is one of Hitchcock’s dandy murderers, but lacking the sexual edge that comes to prominence in later films. Hitchcock said to Truffaut:

“…he’s a killer with an ideal; he’s one of those murderers who feel that they have a mis­sion to destroy. It’s quite possible that those widows deserved what they got, but it certainly wasn’t his job to do it.”

With Uncle Charlie, Hitchcock captured that strain of American righteousness that too often intersects with the country’s propensity for violence, and its misogyny. AH showed the menace lurking in an idyllic American town.

To top it off, Hitchcock made this movie in 1942 in the middle of WWII, when Hollywood and the entire nation were swept up in war fever and patriotism. The accomplishment is titanic.

3 Likes

Janelle Monae?

Yeah, she can do anything.