Which Bond film do you defend to the death?

Late night Bond on ITV is what dreams are made of!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: A sight to behold!

Brilliant, surely some Q like wizard can make Roger Moores Die Another Day happen - even a trailer

Is that ffolkes*/North Sea Hijack*?

1 Like

I think so, yes.

1 Like

Yes it is. One of my favorite Moore parts in a movie. He donā€™t like women, because as a kid he had to sleep in the same room with all of his sisters. Hahaha!!!:grin:

1 Like

On a related note, I seem to remember seeing a Moore non-Bond film in which heā€™s in a tux with a gun for a shoot-out in a posh house. It was really quite Bondian. Did I dream this or is there such a film?

Possibly this oneā€¦ Crossplot

2 Likes

I will always defend TWINE.

1. I saw Garbage live @ University of Delaware 3 months before movie premiered.
  2. I agree it was PBā€™s best performance " I never miss." BANG!,The look of digust on his face while dispatching the thug in the bankerā€™s office,and he never looked better in a tux.
  3. An actorā€™s third outing is traditionally his best. Sir Sean- GOLDFINGER the movie that is the series blueprintā€¦ Sir Roger- TSWLM. Demonstrated that he could laugh,kill, and arch his eyebrow all at the same time. Sir Roger had stated that it was his favorite. PB- TWINE 2nd best PTS(after GOLDFINGER),
1 Like

I think weā€™re essentially at a point where OHMSS doesnā€™t really need to be defended so fiercely, even though Iā€™ll always fight its corner. There will always be the usual Lazenby jibes, but itā€™s good to know the consensus seems to be itā€™s one of the better Bond films.

2 Likes

OHMSS got a really remarkable re-evaluation over the decades. In the 70s it was the runt of the litter, frequently forgotten or derided by many fans and critics. Then in the 80s, around the time Moore visited Tracyā€™s grave and gave Blofeld a lift, you heard fans praise OHMSS much more often.

It was for many years the last film to closely follow an original Fleming story, and thatā€™s what endeared it with many fans of the books - and with each new film that didnā€™t have the good luck of being based on a Fleming story OHMSSā€™s virtues became a bit more desirable.

3 Likes

Plus itā€™s a very well constructed movie, the fight scenes are brutal, brilliantly edited. I for one think itā€™s one of those Bonds that work as a film aswell as a ā€œBond filmā€
Thereā€™s something about it that encapsulates the Fleming melancholy but also that same wistfulness prevalent in many late 60s movies.

1 Like

http://extension765.com/soderblogh/2-most-irrelevant-no-1

For anyone that hasnā€™t read this little piece from Soderberghā€¦

2 Likes

OHMSS is my husbandā€™s favorite Bond film (he cannot understand my fondness for DAF or SPā€“he is in the SF campā€“we are a mixed marriage). I love the film for its 60ā€™s ambiance (more enveloping than many other more consciously-60ā€™s films) and Lazenbyā€™s performance, which was one of the big attractions when I first saw it.

3 Likes

What I like is how basically everything Fleming wrote about is translated in some way for the film. The story is Flemingā€™s best traditional encapsulation of romance and action. Bond is shown to be at his toughest physically but thereā€™s an undeniable sense of vulnerability to his character which I find very appealing, coupled with his predicament atop Piz Gloria and the subsequent escape.

2 Likes

OHMSS is both one of my favorite films and one of my favorite novels. I really enjoy, also, how the film seemingly fixes some of the strange quirks of the novel. Like how Bond is discovered by Blofeld and reveals that Blofeld, in fact, cut off his ears and Blofeld is the one to reveal his plan instead of Bond, M, and a bunch of guys in London, guessing the correct plan. Though the film does still have that giant plot hole of not recognizing Bond, which becomes easier to swallow if you pretend YOLT doesnā€™t exist. Though none of the logic gaps ruin my enjoyment of the story in either medium.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to find the time to do justice to the question you asked in another thread regards the women of James Bond and the effect on the hetrosexual Bond fan, so bear with ! However I have always wondered this , as I think Lazenby was a very handsome man, my wife vehemently disagrees as do lots of her female friends , my cousin and his husband however along with many of my gay friends find Lazenby the most attractive. So in a roundabout way Iā€™m asking which Bond is most attractive to you as a gay man ?

None of the Bonds are my typeā€“if I flirted with anyone in the Bond Tavern it would be the Q of Ben Whishaw.

That being said, I find attractive the vulnerability and sense of being somewhat out-of-place that Lazenby Bond shows. The same goes for Connery Bond #2ā€“the characterization has a wryness and incoherence I enjoyā€”as if Connery Bond #2 was playing with/against the more brutal Connery Bond #1 incarnation (though moments of brutality do surface which I take as manifestations of grief over the murder of Tracy). For me, Connery Bond #2 arises from an evolution/merging of the two previous Bonds: Connery Bond #1ā€“having grown tired of being CB #1ā€“evolves into Lazenby Bond who is vulnerable and goes through tragedy. CB #2 is less intense/predatory, but still has flashes of brutality. The more thuggish/darker Bonds are not my type (though they would be for many gay menā€“especially those who crave straight-acting types). I also like the smoothness/elegance of Moore Bond even though there is nothing physically attractive about him for me.

2 Likes

I completely agree with your assesment of Connery mark2 although I would suggest #3 because for me, his characterization is different again in Goldfinger, in that whilst less brutal heā€™s far more of a bastard and a cad , more closly aligned with the Bond of LALD and TMWTGG, possibly because that was the direction Hamilton wanted the character to go. In DAD Connery was back on his terms and I think itā€™s much more of personal essay from him of his feelings about Bond and all its conceits.
YOLT is, in my opinion not a performance and Thunderball is closer to #1 than any of the other perfomances

1 Like

Tom Mankiewicz did say Guy Hamilton was the most cynical man he ever met, so that cold explain the through line.

That is brilliant and makes perfect sense (and posits yet another reason the film is so special to me). Also, for what it is worth, Hamilton did say that he did not direct Connery in DAF since you donā€™t direct Sean Connery playing James Bond (much like Hitchcock said he did not direct Cary Grant walking across the lobby of the Plaza Hotel since Grant knew how to do so better than anyone else).

2 Likes