Who do you want for Bond 7?

I had no idea. Now, that would have been miscasting of Himalayan proportions. THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is a favorite since grammar school days.

1 Like

I’m not sure what they were thinking. “We need someone who can play an outlaw while keeping the audience on their side”? For sure Alan Hale’s Little John would’ve looked impressive standing next to him. (Interesting trivia: Hale played Little John in three different films including his last, 1950’s Rogues of Sherwood opposite John Derek ((husband of Ursula Andress and later Bo Derek)) as Robin. Some 28 years had passed since his first time in the role in 1922, opposite Doug Fairbanks.)

Whenever I imagine Cagney in those tights and that cap, I get more of a “Puck” vibe.

2 Likes

2 Likes

And the deadline article stating all the same, just for kicks:

1 Like

They have not started anything, they are enjoying the money, they rather wait on the Amazon contract being waterproof
 and when it becomes inevitable they will give us the old Bond we know and
 you know

2 Likes

Indeed. The Craig era was a reaction to Bourne that arguably went on past its relevance. Along the way, multi-film arcs became a big deal thanks to Marvel so the franchise veered somewhat in that direction. Then superheroes who have daughters and die became a thing, so we got NTTD. If they were filming today, I’m sure they’d be going for a Mission: Impossible vibe, but since filming is still two years off, Babs is completely right to say no one knows what the next Bond entry will look like. It’ll all depend on what other popular films are doing two years from now.

2 Likes

4 Likes

That’s my only fear: having the Bond franchise feeling the need to react to something (Bourne,.Marvel, socially correct, etc).

Bond movies ARE the ones who should be setting up the mood for the genre in the movie industry. And they shouldn’t be worried about being nice, or pc, or complying with woke or MeToo and so on

I mean, in the midst of all these “peace-love-be all you can be” movements we had Joker which was the complete opposite and an absolute success.

Stick to Fleming, stick to the 60 years of tradition and character build up, go big on action sequences and try not to kill him again

4 Likes

Advising them not to try and kill Bond again is good advice.

I think the imperatives of “stick to Fleming” and “stick to 60 years of tradition” are trickier, but still manageable. You may dismiss worrying about being pc or concerns about race or sex, but the Joker was not trying to serve as an aspirational as well as narrative character.

7 Likes

I’ll be honestly surprised if those sequels go over big, but in 2016 I learned in the most painful way possible not to say something crazy can “never happen.”

Assuming you just mean recasting Bond with CGI (as opposed to actually making him blue), I’m not convinced that’s out of the realm of possibility (though likely not as soon as 2025). Just think of all the headaches you’d save by not dealing with egos and inflating salaries and critics carping on how many wrinkles and sags your lead actor’s piling on.

1 Like

Still trying to get my head around Cagney as Robin Hood. It ain’t workin’

cagneyhood

4 Likes

It is a mind bender

When I first heard about the Cagney thing (I have a multi-disc edition with loads of extras), I almost fell off my chair. One really has to wonder about what impact to movie history this film would have made
 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A rare photo of Cagney doing promotion for the film in lead up to production (Basil Rathbone is also pictured)

4 Likes
2 Likes

Who? :thinking:

Well that was
different.

4 Likes

He’s very young and “pretty”. Bond doesn’t always need to be Craig/Connery “craggy” (to abuse a term) but he does need to have some history and mileage in his facial features. Maybe in a few years, I’ll feel differently.